The Veganism Thread

Odinson

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, biggest waste of carbon particles on the planet.

The aubergine is solid proof that god hates me.

Yoh we had a dish 2 nights ago... Wok blackened 'Patches nemesis', pan fried mixture of black bean sauce, szechuan pepper, ginger, chili, shallots, some other goodies I can't remember, all on top of a bed of jasmine rice. Dammit it was good

Yoh we had a dish 2 nights ago... Wok blackened 'Patches nemesis', pan fried mixture of black bean sauce, szechuan pepper, ginger, chili, shallots, some other goodies I can't remember, all on top of a bed of jasmine rice. Dammit it was good

You would sooner see Superman snorting lines of Kryptonite than me putting that purple devils scrotum near my lips.

We found a bunch of plant based stuff in a bigger Woolies compared to where we normally shop. I tried these new patties today, called Plant Powered Protein - Burger Patty. They certainly tasted like similarly processed food, same texture, but also perhaps a little heavy-handed on the spice side...

I though it would be interesting to compare the two - beef and plant, with regards nutrition only.

The only real difference is the make-up of the fat profile, cholesterol, and fibre, probably all of which you would guess.

Edit: disclaimer this item is not vegan, only plant-based

post-90313-0-10855500-1550066121_thumb.png

Edited by CBlake

One of our local burger chains is serving up Hungry Planet burgers.

Had one for dinner last night.

Flavour wise and texture wise it was like eating any normal beef based burger.

My kids and I struggled to finish them. The mouthfeel was too realistic and it creeped us out.

I reckon they are amazing if you are transitioning and miss a burger but honestly it was too realistic for us and we struggled mentally with the whole thing.

My son eventually took out the patty and just ate a salad bun. Said he was happier that way.

post-18409-1550185536878.jpg

Nestlé highlights sharpened plant-based focus as Starbucks range debuts

14 Feb 2019 --- Swiss giant Nestlé is exploring strategic options for the Herta charcuterie business including a potential sale, as the company reports its full-year results. As a further step in positioning its portfolio towards attractive high-growth categories, the company is looking to potentially divest its cold cuts and meat-based products, in favor of plant-based products to keep pace with current consumer trends. The company continues to pivot its businesses to changing market conditions by unveiling its first coffee lines under the Starbucks name which comes after Nestlé closed a US$7.15 billion licensing deal to market Starbucks Consumer Packaged Goods and Foodservice products globally.

These announcements come as Nestlé reports 2018 full-year results show that organic sales grew 3 percent in the full year, accelerating to 3.7 percent in the final quarter, and net profit surged 42 percent to CHF10.1 billion (US$10.02 billion).

A full-year results press conference was held earlier today, hosted by Nestlé CEO Mark Schneider and François-Xavier Roger, Nestlé CFO. Schneider explained that the company’s financial performance metrics have significantly improved, including revived growth in two of its largest markets, the US and China, as well as its infant nutrition business.

But it’s the move away from meat and into plant-based alongside the company’s renewed commitment to healthy and nutritional food that really stands out. 

“Our review strategy is not a one-shot thing, it’s not a photo. Strategy is a movie, something that unfolds over time, a consistent set of actions that gets the company from one place to another in the face of a changing environment,” Schneider said during the press conference today. “This is essentially what we’ve done over the past several years in a very consistent manner and this whole focus on our core food, beverage and nutrition and health products range, that is really shining through now.”

“Inside food and beverage, if you think about today’s announcement on Herta, it really shows how we are positioning the company towards what is benefiting from higher growth and future areas such as plant-based offerings that are very much on-trend with where consumers are heading.”

“This industry is changing very fast and it requires that we also change very fast to stay in step with it and continue with our lead. That has happened in 2018, we’re seeing significant, meaningful progress on all fronts with our acceleration creation model that we outlined in June 2017,” Schneider notes. 

Nestlé’s strategic review is gathering pace as demand for packaged foods continues to be affected bya global trend towards healthy eating. Nestlé offloaded its US confectionery business to the Ferrero Group in an estimated US$2.8 billion deal in January 2018, and as dairy and meat demand dips, the company will tap into the alternative burger space with the forthcoming release of The Incredible Burger, due to hit shelves this spring. 

Released through the Garden Gourmet brand, the Nestlé plant-based patty will be made from soy and wheat proteins and will compete with other established meat alternatives including the Beyond Burger and Impossible Burger.

VegNews.IncredibleBurgerNestle.png?sha=2

How cool is this? 

Europe's First Vegan Supermarket Chain Sets New Industry Standard For Sustainability And Transparency

New labels on Veganz products will give buyers information on animal welfare, water use, rainforest destruction and carbon footprint relating to what's in their shopping baskets

Responding to customer requests for more transparency on the production of vegan groceries, Germany's Veganz has partnered with Switzerland's Eaternity to create new product labels that give shoppers the information they need to make better buying choices.

"Finally, our customers can learn about the real resource consumption of our products," said founder and CEO of Veganz, Jan Bredack. "We’re openly and critically addressing our own weak points. Right on our new product packaging, with no diversions. For me, this is a huge step forward within our industry, which badly needs transparency and more sustainability."

The project involved gathering detailed information on the raw materials, distributors and producers of the Veganz product lines, feeding it into a database and then comparing the data with information on 100,000 products from other supermarkets.

Vegan cashew cheese first to get labeled

Over a year and a half in the making, the first Veganz product is ready to receive one of the new labels designed by Studio Oeding and is expected to appear in stores next month. 

Shoppers will see that a cashew-based cheese that's matured with vegan lactic acid cultures called The Gourmet Classic produces 565 grams of CO2 during its manufacture. It scores well on animal welfare – naturally – and rainforest protection, but is let down by its water use, for which it only receives one star.

Veganz has now submitted the next products for scrutiny, its organic coconut, crisp and hazelnut choc bars.

Veganz customers will also be able to use the new CodeCheck mobile app to scan product barcodes for detailed information on the company's plant-based grocery products.

The store opened its doors for the first time in 2011, as a one stop shop for vegan groceries. Since 2015, it has been developing and selling its own brand plant-based and organic products – which now number more than 160. The Veganz product line is available for purchase online, in conventional supermarkets as well as Veganz stores in Europe, and in pharmacies.

5c696b68b064ae85d9f676e4_veganz-vegan-pl

Had these Superhero patties this weekend. OMFG! So good! Only disappointing thing was the bun. Weird thing about Belgium - supermarkets and bakeries don't really do nice hamburger buns - the buns are either rock hard and crumbly or are as stale as a 'Yo mamma' joke. Really need to start baking my own. 

post-62668-0-08038900-1550483216_thumb.jpg

post-62668-0-01753700-1550483230_thumb.jpg

That protein tho! 26g per patty. 

I like that, re the VEGANZ thing and the declaration of how much of each resource it's taking etc. 

It takes a lot of confidence to something like this, as you could run the risk of alienating some clients from certain products, depending on scores that they receive. 

On the other hand, it can also empower customers to make more informed choices e.g. opting for the cashew cheese, which is a big water user, but then opting for oat milk instead of cashew. 

Tell you what I've taken a real liking to - nutritional yeast.

I'm adding it now to a surprising number of dishes. To compare it to Parmesan is just not fair if we're honest, but as a nutty, earthy flavour its really growing on me...

Tell you what I've taken a real liking to - nutritional yeast.

I'm adding it now to a surprising number of dishes. To compare it to Parmesan is just not fair if we're honest, but as a nutty, earthy flavour its really growing on me...

Same here. Been on an extended nooch bender recently. 

It definitely doesn't taste like Parmesan, but it does have that nutty/cheesy taste, which is not quite like any cheese or nut. 

If you add it to pasta sauces, it does help in giving that thick, creamy consistency. 

Soooooo, stirring the pot again, do vegans prefer driving a prius, or normal fossil fuel, dead and decayed animal matter vehicles?