Southeys Vines MTB trail closed for maintenance

PhilipV

The Southeys Vines trail at Geelsloot park in Somerset West is getting a revamp and I'd closed until maintenance is finished.

The berms and jumps are getting some badly needed attention, and by riding it before the soil has hardened it's spoiling all the grooming.

I will post here when it's finished.

Or you can follow on Facebook.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1179377542217053&id=326005554220927

:clap: :clap:

it was really funny yesterday, some kids tried to ride over the bumps even with all that soil .....

The Southey's Team would like to thank everybody thats been steering clear of their favorite bikepark. Building is progressing well and we hope to open again next Monday. Southey's Team

8bae9921336ca656b15601f3c6d58212.jpg

14fba2cb9553e6766d70a87bcf0713d8.jpg

937bd14cfcb94abc7af7b5d98e80b068.jpg

c9a3a1d3895f985e6c4ff3a403e36624.jpg

I never ride at Southey's, but had such a k@k day on the bike on Sunday that I thought I would have a bit of fun before going home, only to discover that the trail faeries had candy-taped the whole place shut. And yet there were still some tracks going through and around the candy tape, onto the soft soil and messing everything up. Bloody cyclists!

So I thought I'd just cruise around and see what else was new, going around all the berms and jumps etc. At the high point of Southy's I bumped into another rider, and it looked like he was there to RACE! We nodded pleasantries as we went in opposite directions, just as he was about to take a table top jump thingy.

And the next thing he was lying in a heap. Bike in one direction, body in another. Phone and energy bar flung high into the air. And blood oozing from his knee.

He'd taken the table top thingy at pace, but what he didn't see was the MASSIVE boulder on the back side, and I suspect that when he did eventually see it, it was too late.

I rushed over to help him out, and he was p!ssed off! "Who the **** puts a boulder over there? Who maintains these trails? I going to ******** mail them. This is ridiculous!" I wasn't sure if he was just angry, or angry at me, so I tried to offer sympathy, while at the same time not getting too close. I also tried to point out that all the candy tape, signs and rocks all over the place probably meant that he shouldn't be riding the obstacles. With his legs wobbling, and his knee oozing deep dark red blood, he turned to me, grunted, and rode off.

Oh, and he was wearing a Stellenbosch Triathlete Squad cycling top. Bloody triathletes!

I never ride at Southey's, but had such a k@k day on the bike on Sunday that I thought I would have a bit of fun before going home, only to discover that the trail faeries had candy-taped the whole place shut. And yet there were still some tracks going through and around the candy tape, onto the soft soil and messing everything up. Bloody cyclists!

So I thought I'd just cruise around and see what else was new, going around all the berms and jumps etc. At the high point of Southy's I bumped into another rider, and it looked like he was there to RACE! We nodded pleasantries as we went in opposite directions, just as he was about to take a table top jump thingy.

And the next thing he was lying in a heap. Bike in one direction, body in another. Phone and energy bar flung high into the air. And blood oozing from his knee.

He'd taken the table top thingy at pace, but what he didn't see was the MASSIVE boulder on the back side, and I suspect that when he did eventually see it, it was too late.

I rushed over to help him out, and he was p!ssed off! "Who the **** puts a boulder over there? Who maintains these trails? I going to ******** mail them. This is ridiculous!" I wasn't sure if he was just angry, or angry at me, so I tried to offer sympathy, while at the same time not getting too close. I also tried to point out that all the candy tape, signs and rocks all over the place probably meant that he shouldn't be riding the obstacles. With his legs wobbling, and his knee oozing deep dark red blood, he turned to me, grunted, and rode off.

Oh, and he was wearing a Stellenbosch Triathlete Squad cycling top. Bloody triathletes!

Hahaha sounds like the boulder did it's job well. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

Was this near the Dummer/Irene intersection?

Was this near the Dummer/Irene intersection?

Yup - up near the top - I think it's the first obstacle before a berm (there is a bergie tent behind the berm)

Yup - up near the top - I think it's the first obstacle before a berm (there is a bergie tent behind the berm)

Thanks.

I'll go check it out.

Just found out that he did send that email to the club....

Thanks.

I'll go check it out.

Just found out that he did send that email to the club....

I tried to pick the boulder up and move it onto the top of the jump thingy. And then I remembered that I am a cyclist, and that I have no arm or upper body strength. So I just rolled it to the side of the track.

It's not blocking the track anymore, and it hopefully won't kill anyone either.

Please note that the re-opening of the Southeys track on Monday has been postponed for additional much needed work to be completed. Please be patient.....it’s going to be worth the wait....

20dcb00bbe0ebb734eee92e4c1c1ea45.jpg

2a851277d425f6d7689308d45711f850.jpg

Went past in car yesterday The big wooden berm is covered in Dirt! Yay hated the wood.

That wood was sketchy AF. especially if yo gunning the berm and as soon as you hit it see that its missing a plank or two

The Southey's Team would like to thank everybody thats been steering clear of their favorite bikepark. Building is progressing well and we hope to open again next Monday. Southey's Team

14fba2cb9553e6766d70a87bcf0713d8.jpg

Not a complaint, just a comment. These berms are terribly shaped, they should have a bowl shape not compacted flat at 30 degrees.

post-91523-0-37694100-1544446339_thumb.jpg 

Edited by cdevil

Philip we will be taking a few day drives during the holiday .... sure to make a turn and enjoy your hard work.

Would love to buy you a cold one and thank you for all the hard work !!