Sub 6 Argus build

partydave

A couple of years ago, I managed to wangle a trade for this here Spez Allez for a really old, flame painted, Merida 26er. I was well chuffed with the bike, but it had many battle scars from when the previous owner was "a pro". Now that my gravel season is over, I'm putting more focus into road miles and as such, getting the Allez sorted

post-68382-0-51108000-1545026393_thumb.jpg

I used the bike extensively, but the last ride was an extremely muddy 100km race. When I got home, I rinsed it off and stored it in the bike room while I prepared for the Desert Dash.

I rinsed it off, so it should be good right? Wrong

post-68382-0-71977100-1545026498_thumb.jpg

Chain seized solid

post-68382-0-54207300-1545026524_thumb.jpg

post-68382-0-68264700-1545026567_thumb.jpg

post-68382-0-82707500-1545026607_thumb.jpg

Broken spoke Q-Bonded, needles to say, not a great fix

post-68382-0-32650500-1545026646_thumb.jpg

post-68382-0-08198200-1545026706_thumb.jpg

Biggest issue I have is the rear wheel seized into the drop out. I need to get it rebuilt, but I am completely unable to remove it. Once this is removed, the rest of the bike will be stripped and painted, drivetrain swapped out (if I can find something similar) and a few other bits on order....unless it also gets sold before I can even start like my previous project.

P.S. If anyone has an older Ultegra Groupset they want to sell, please get in contact with me

Edit: Sub 6 hours, not KG. I am not a race snake

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeepers. Did you store the bike wet in a room with no ventilation?

I made the mistake once of keeping pool chemicals in the same room as my bikes during the rainy season. Not my proudest moment.

Not my proudest moment I'll admit. Obviously didn't dry it properly before storing in the bike room for months with a locked door. Doesn't help being at the coast either.

Oh well, great excuse to upgrade, I mean rebuild

I want to replace the whole drivetrain, including shifters anyway, so I'm not too fussed about that. Everything (apart from the chain) moves okay though

I want to replace the whole drivetrain, including shifters anyway, so I'm not too fussed about that. Everything (apart from the chain) moves okay though

Have you checked if the seat post can move?

I'd toss that stem and bar to for safety reasons.

Have you checked if the seat post can move?

I'd toss that stem and bar to for safety reasons.

Bar and stem will most definitely be replaced by carbon bits, even if they are alloy bits

Is that a sub 6 hour build or a sub 6Kg bike build??

Sub 6 hour, I'm all for the adventure

I want to do a wild paint job if I can find a local painter who can pull it off, otherwise just a ghosted flat black bike. Time is little, so we'll see

post-68382-0-95784500-1545032851_thumb.jpg

Cpt is a bit too far for my time constraints, but thank you. I've spoken to Bogus before, very reasonably priced and amazing work

I want to do a wild paint job if I can find a local painter who can pull it off, otherwise just a ghosted flat black bike. Time is little, so we'll see

attachicon.gifSpez.jpg

Road-Bike-1-of-1.jpg

I like the idea of building a really crazy "art" bike. It is something I've always wanted to do, but never had the guts to.  I thought my latest project could perhaps be the one (a fixie build for one of the Ds) but for that I'm only in charge of sourcing parts and mechanical things, oh, and paying for it all! D is in charge of art and design and it seems he is a bit like me, leaning to simplicity and style rather than "way out there".

Am I stupid or is there an extra step to removing a roadbike rear wheel?

QR Skewer out, chain off and then? Cut the chainstay off with a sawzall? I've sprayed WD40, silicon lube, nanofancypantspray, moered it with a hammer, tried to leverage it out with a screw driver, buggerall will get the wheel out. 

Archived