[Event] All Mountain Enduro - Wellington (Cancelled)

Dirtopia MTB Events

Will think about it. I dont have protective gear, either. I feel kind of exposed when my ride buddies kit up and snap chin bars in place at the top of Helderberg.

I've never needed a chin bar on Helderberg, except on DH lines - and no riders on enduro bikes willingly go ride those there, unless they're out for self harm.

????

Will think about it. I dont have protective gear, either. I feel kind of exposed when my ride buddies kit up and snap chin bars in place at the top of Helderberg.

Round 1 and 2 of EWC will not be super technical. The only way you will write yourself off is if you ride above your limits.

Re: protective gear, only needed if you are gonna push your limits. I did the whole series last year with a normal helmet (also ride Helderberg without pads and full face weekly). I will however ride with protection this year because I am keen to push myself a bit.

Long story short - I think the only event you will NEED protective gear is Jonkershoek, as that has Plumber and Iron Monkey in there, and they have indicated there will be 5 stages this year which can only mean Firehut or Status Quo (extra nappies needed).

But... Hoogekraal and Contermans are not hard to ride, and if last year is anything to go by - gaps, jumps, techy stuff is very very well marked and you will have enough time to go around.

Just DO IT!! The organisers put so much time and effort into making enduro accessible to everyone and they do a dam good job of it. Trust me, you will not be ridiculed or judged for going around obstacles or walking sections. It really is a super fun day out and you will not regret taking part....

Round 1 and 2 of EWC will not be super technical. The only way you will write yourself off is if you ride above your limits.

Re: protective gear, only needed if you are gonna push your limits. I did the whole series last year with a normal helmet (also ride Helderberg without pads and full face weekly). I will however ride with protection this year because I am keen to push myself a bit.

Long story short - I think the only event you will NEED protective gear is Jonkershoek, as that has Plumber and Iron Monkey in there, and they have indicated there will be 5 stages this year which can only mean Firehut or Status Quo (extra nappies needed).

But... Hoogekraal and Contermans are not hard to ride, and if last year is anything to go by - gaps, jumps, techy stuff is very very well marked and you will have enough time to go around.

Just DO IT!! The organisers put so much time and effort into making enduro accessible to everyone and they do a dam good job of it. Trust me, you will not be ridiculed or judged for going around obstacles or walking sections. It really is a super fun day out and you will not regret taking part....

Good advise this! I had great fun at my first one 2 weeks ago and also only had a normal helmet and knee pads. Did not really need the knee pads for Uitkyk, but I wanted to look the part. The vibe was great and everyone is super relaxed.

The intervals at Uitkyk was self determined, which was great. I made a point of telling the guy behind me to give me an extra few seconds. That worked great as no one tried to overtake me on any of the stages.

Edited by Delarey

Glad I read this post. Also wanted to do this event as an entry into the enduro side of things. Great that the EWC events are still an option for a newbie.

Lekker.