close passes again and again

daveno7

Seems to be a global problem. Most of the country roads here in Northern Ireland don’t have a yellow line area and with a combination of windy roads, a 60 mile per hour speed limit and drivers who actively dislike cyclists, I have near misses on almost every ride, to the point where I pretty much stay off road as much as possible now. Funny enough, when we lived in South Africa , I found it easier to plan routes with mostly wide yellow lines and ended up riding on the road a lot more there than here.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I try never to ride on a road if it doesn't have a shoulder.

Even if it has, I never ride on a road where the speed limit is greater than 80 km/h.

I always ride on a cycle path / in a cycle lane, if there is one.

Cars/trucks will always win.  

Needless to say, I don't ride much on roads.

The risks are just too high, even if I argue for my rights on this forum. On the roads, I might not live to give my version.

Edited by flymango

As a commuter I see it daily. This is why I ride a cyclocross bike. I can go off the road if needed. The worst is people on cell phones.

I dont know how we as cyclist are going to change the situation.

I was almost taken out by a taxi driver on Main Road in Bryanston yesterday. I was well into the yellow line, but he almost hit me from behind. Scary thing is I never even heard him till it was too late.

I was pissed off, but he never stopped

Thumbsucking here as I can't provide document proof, but isn't/wasn't parts of getting a learner's license for driving to be a responsible driver, always staying fresh and on top of the latest law?

Obviously many people don't, but the point is if it is on paper and lawful, it could be used to support the condemning of offenders.

I also remember that, and that is the biggest problem People to NOT refresh themselfs