Giant Trance 29 vs Scott Spark

thebob

Some more feedback on the Giant.

A 150mm dropper fits a size medium frame with a 172cm rider. Gets the seat out the way nicely for the downs.

The stock DHF rear tyre is DRAGGY! I changed it for a Forekaster and the bike feels a lot more snappy under power. Managed to take 10 minutes off my best Modderfontein yellow loop time with this small change.

The rear shock must be set at 11mm sag (~25%) for best results. This means quite a bit of pressure. 250PSI for my bike and 80kg body.

If you are running flats pedals, you will find the bike is quite prone to pedal strikes (Crank Bros Stamps for me). This can be remedied by ensuring sag is correct. I added a set of 170mm cranks and it is now a non-issue.

Still loving the bike! Almost 50 hours done now, so I'll be doing an air can and fork lower service shortly. All the other components are still going strong and the linkage bearings are still rolling smoothly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trance 2 2019 owners, any one here having paint chipping issues?

Mine seems to chip off to the bottom white paint at the slightest touch of a flicked stone.

DRAGONS ( Giant SA ) says im the only one with this problem.

PS this is the blue trance 2

There is some mention of this on the MTBR forums for the blue bike. Three or four guys complaining about it. Mine has a couple of small chips: Back of the seat tube and on the linkage arms

There is some mention of this on the MTBR forums for the blue bike. Three or four guys complaining about it. Mine has a couple of small chips: Back of the seat tube and on the linkage arms

ag nee man.....

ag nee man.....

Let us know what Dragon says further. I've used AMS frame stickers and some clear vinyl to keep mine looking fresh

Let us know what Dragon says further. I've used AMS frame stickers and some clear vinyl to keep mine looking fresh

Pls pm me your details.. they asked for it.. or i will also pm you his email...

• 1 month later...

Some more Trance 29 Feedback. Did the fork and shock service. Super easy to do both of them yourself. Foam rings in the fork were basically dry and filthy, so I replaced them. The air can service was a doddle as well. Thanks to Jacques at Cogent for supplying the parts and Float Fluid. The bike feels a lot more supple after the service, so I'm going to switch to a 30 hour interval for these services, down from 50. I also got hold of a 0.6 spacer for the shock, as I was not happy with the rear end feel when climbing ledges and on landing jumps. Made the bike feel more "ground-huggy" and fixed the issues I was feeling. Still loving the Trance 29!

• 4 weeks later...

Some more Trance 29 feedback. Rear shock first, the 0.6 spacer has made the rear end a lot more compliant and grippy. A positive change for sure. The I moved the shock into position 2 of the open mode adjuster. Another positive change which resulted in a bit more pedaling platform, but still with excellent grip and comfort. Then I tweaked the fork to get just more than 20% sag. This was achieved by going to 81 PSI from 84 PSI and setting the rebound accordingly. The front end has more grip and more comfort all round. Just shows that a bit of tweaking and time spent testing brings really big results and improvements.

Next up, where do I find a compatible DPX2?

• 3 months later...

Latest update, plenty more suspension fiddling has lead to the fork pressure going to 78PSI and 7 clicks of rebound. This is much better than before. Bike soaks up everything in its’ path and tracks straight as an arrow.

The the big upgrade is a new RockShox Super Deluxe RC3 shock. I had previously bought a DPX2 off eBay only for them to class it as a restricted item (apparently they can’t ship things with compressed air in them, even though it was empty). So after much looking I found a new take off Super Deluxe in the correct size from the Ukraine. Two weeks later it was fitted and I got sickAF. Anyway, two rides down and I am very happy with the purchase. This is a much more supportive shock than the DPS, but still offers excellent small bump compliance whilst refusing to bottom on some heavy hits. Managed some PBs on the Hennops trail downhills today without much fuss. The difference was over 10s per sector. Color me impressed. Now, do I send this to Cogent for a Tractive Tune....

Also fitted some new tyres. A 2.4 WT Maxxis Rekon at the back and a 2.5 WT Maxxis Minion DHF up front. Excellent combo of tyres. Fast rolling and pretty grippy out back and GRIPPY up front. Still loving the Trance 29!

Edited by the_bob

Went to Thaba Trails this morning. The Super Deluxe has made a huge difference in the climbing and descending of the bike. The bike sits up higher and grabs more traction going uphill and is simply unstoppable on the downhills now.

I understand that Giant has to build the bike to a price and so fits the DPS to most models, but a piggyback shock absorber should be mandatory in my experience

Edited by the_bob

• 11 months later...

Do you still own your trance 29? Im possibly looking at one for longer rides. 2019 trance 1 or 2019 trance advanced pro 1. I know changing the tires will help a lot. But does it do alright on steep climbs?

Thinking of a scott spark and maybe a trance 29 for me and the wife for marathon or all day rides. Maybe stage races in the future... that is of course if a medium 29er fits her as well. As then we can chop n change as we like. Will maybe need to do some stem changes.

Edited by figjam_sa

Still have the Trance, still love the bike. On climbs the bike is not the problem, the rider is. Fitness and technique get you to the top.

If you want to do stage races and the like, go for the Spark. It is built up to be lighter than the Giant by some margin and the suspension platform (with the lockouts) is better for pedaling. If you want to have more fun on the downhills or want to ride chunkier, more challenging terrain, get the Trance 29.