Bridgestone Route 66 3-day Stage Race

ScaredShiftless

Day2 is maropeng to maropeng, there are some singletrack sections (footpaths) as well as what looks like the Mount grace trails (short steep ups and switchbacks) should be quite rocky, it does drain fairly well in the area, so it should be ok.

Day 3 more of the same, however making our way back to Kloofzicht should once again be a combination of dirt roads and footpaths. 

The race does go through 2 reserves, where it's mostly jeep track. it's quite rocky in sections, and probably more so, after the rain. Pack your climbing pants.

Cool, thanks. I don't mind rocky, just really hope it isn't too much of a mud fest on the foot paths.

I am using it a hard training session, so up for a bit of climbing

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Route shortened to 78 kms because of mud

A different route from last year. This year 's was better

Lots of rain puddles and not too much mud made the section inside Cradle Moon a bit more challenging

No rain fell during my ride

Still too many sections where the track looked like they had run a lawnmover over some veld

Route markers and water tables were adequate . I was near the back of the field and there was still water and food at the tables

1300 m of ascent with most coming after 35kms which was made my ride harder as my bike got stuck in the big chainring for last 20 kms

Tough day out, but had some fun. Cradle track was running fast, burned a couple of matches there that I needed at the end of the day, but didnt have. Cradle moon was more unnecessary match burning, due to pulling a few guys, and me not wanting to hold them up on the singletrack. Some of the tracks on yellow route turned into little rivers with water coming out the ground like a fountain. Glad they cut out the red route at cradle moon, would have destroyed me, all the short steep climbs there.

After all the fun, it was lots of climbing, on fresly cut tracks. Got a few drops in the last 10km, and here was water and mud all over. Was properly dirty by the end of the day.

Made it to the finish in juuuuust under 5 hours.

Still too many sections where the track looked like they had run a lawnmover over some veld

There it is again...their favourite trick

Should be a soggy ride today!

We drove to the start area. Heard that the race start had been delayed because of muddy conditions. So we left and did a lap of the Cradle

Listening to my components grinding themselves into destruction is not my favorite pastime

So today there was more mud. But before that was 7kms of tar road, where I got dropped to dead last, wasnt going to burn matches to try ans spin and stay with the bunch, so I just worked and walked on the climbs. It rained as I was ascending the rocky tracks of mount grace. It rained some more, there was more mud. Lots of people had to stop to demud their frames derailers and other stuff.

I was glad for the lack of drivetrain issues.

Last 10 kays was fenceline graspolle, but the tracks were so soggy, it didnt really matter, that soggyness sapped more energy that the graspolle would have.

Home in about 4:30, within my time window I set out to achieve.

The highveld area is stunningly beautiful after all the rain .Had a great ride in the mud and graspolle .Beats lying in bed and thinking of riding any day .I did this event in 2012 and only remember how hot it was then

So all in, it was a pretty enjoyable event. It was tough, with a small field of competitors. 

I am apprehensive about the entry fee for this event going forward. The Burger at the end was also really crap, and the drinks at Kloofzicht RIDICULOUSLY expensive. R29 for a can of coke.

Anyhoo, it's a free country, I did it for the riding, not the sitting around afterwards. 

If you are looking to get some climbing done in Gauteng, with a bit of technical trails, this is a good race. 

I also really enjoyed this race. I was one of the guys that chickened out on Saturday. The jury is still out on whether (Pardon the pun) that was a good idea or not. It was bucketing down where we stay. The whole night. It was my wife's first MTB race. She entered the 2 day I entered the 3 day. This is in prep for Sani later on.

I was going to drop back and ride with her. Didn't think it was a good idea to put her through that. Especially after Friday's mud. No one I chatted to en route said "Saturday was awesome, you should've come" Most guys just survived.

That said yesterday was such a lekker jol, I'm sad its over.

Price wise, if you catch the early bird at 2k I suppose it's not too bad considering what you pay for 947 and CTCT. Imagine doing three of those in a row. I just wish it included lunch or something afterwards.

I'd probably be back.

Archived