Cyclist Needing Funding

Clint101

Sorry to say but two podiums, albeit no wins, in six years is not going to set the cycling world alight.

Bra, you gotta produce the goods, wanting to be the best and thinking you are the best is not going to cut it.

Like all endurance sports, good genetics predetermines your success. Get your VO2 max and W/kg tested by any decent coach and they will be able to tell you if you will be wasting your time or not.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to say but two podiums, albeit no wins, in six years is not going to set the cycling world alight.

Bra, you gotta produce the goods, wanting to be the best and thinking you are the best is not going to cut it.

Like all endurance sports, good genetics predetermines your success. Get your VO2 max and W/kg tested by any decent coach and they will be able to tell you if you will be wasting your time or not.

THIS is the brutal truth 

Piet Pompies going from a 5hr to a 4hr Argus. That gives me and you satisfaction of a team work job well done. 

Hey easy does it. My trainer has me on the bike 6/7 days a week. And I give it all I've got. But I'm ALWAYS going to be Piet Pompies...  :blink:

In the real world

But it’s not always so predictable. When the T-Mobile squad gathered at the start of 2007 one of the first tasks was an effort test to measure the fitness of all the riders. Having tested all the riders, one stood out thanks to relatively poor results, a neo-pro called Mark Cavendish. The trainer had words with the young rider, saying he doubted whether the rider was good enough for the Pro Tour. Certainly the lab test doesn’t account for aerodynamics, a low position on the bike means less watts. Indeed today Cavendish puts out fewer watts than team mates Renshaw and Eisel, by a substantial margin yet he is probably the fastest rider going.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

yet he is probably the fastest rider going.

Only if he manages to actually stay on his bike[emoji41]

In the real world

But it’s not always so predictable. When the T-Mobile squad gathered at the start of 2007 one of the first tasks was an effort test to measure the fitness of all the riders. Having tested all the riders, one stood out thanks to relatively poor results, a neo-pro called Mark Cavendish. The trainer had words with the young rider, saying he doubted whether the rider was good enough for the Pro Tour. Certainly the lab test doesn’t account for aerodynamics, a low position on the bike means less watts. Indeed today Cavendish puts out fewer watts than team mates Renshaw and Eisel, by a substantial margin yet he is probably the fastest rider going.

andydude we have moved on in technology over the past 12 years and can measure climbing and stage winning performances. If you can't push 6W/kg for 30 mins on a climb or manage 1500W and upwards at the end of a stage sprint then you are not going to win anything on the pro tour. These are the figures, these are the facts, there is no more guessing required.

Cavendish is not a ninja space alien that can defy science, so clearly the trainer was a bit of a pessimist.

andydude we have moved on in technology over the past 12 years and can measure climbing and stage winning performances. If you can't push 6W/kg for 30 mins on a climb or manage 1500W and upwards at the end of a stage sprint then you are not going to win anything on the pro tour. These are the figures, these are the facts, there is no more guessing required.

Cavendish is not a ninja space alien that can defy science, so clearly the trainer was a bit of a pessimist.

How much power does Caleb Ewan produce in a sprint compared to Andre Greipel?

How much power does Caleb Ewan produce in a sprint compared to Andre Greipel?

Some max output figures from the top sprinters in wins at the end of a tour stage:

Sagan 1500W 
Cavendish 1500W
Griepel 1900W max and 1,000W for 30 seconds.
Kittel 1900W 
Ewan 1000W in his bullet sprint position (max 1650W in training)
(Chris Hoy has hit 2500W  but on a track)

Ewan's power is quite down on the others but he is small and very aero which is advantageous.

Some max output figures from the top sprinters in wins at the end of a tour stage:

Sagan 1500W

Cavendish 1500W

Griepel 1900W max and 1,000W for 30 seconds.

Kittel 1900W

Ewan 1000W in his bullet sprint position (max 1650W in training)

(Chris Hoy has hit 2500W but on a track)

Ewan's power is quite down on the others but he is small and very aero which is advantageous.

Exactly. You are making my point. Absolute watts for a sprinter is not the end all.

Interesting stats at the recent UAE Tour stage 7!2422ffce6789628a112d6a280843e69a.jpg

Exactly. You are making my point. Absolute watts for a sprinter is not the end all.

Interesting stats at the recent UAE Tour stage 7!2422ffce6789628a112d6a280843e69a.jpg

Get normalized power Ave power is for amateurs

Oh dear, here we go....

Exceptions like Mark and Caleb are fodder for the naive. Mark would not have become a neo pro if he only had 2 podiums in 5 years of amateur racing.

As inspiring as exceptional cases can be, they should not be used to give false hope. Thousands of cyclists with good local results try and fail to make it pro.

Watts are for show, results are for dough.

Edited by Patchelicious