Stress "shock"

MudLark

It sounds to me like blood sugar - I'm close to a type 1 diabetic and when she gets a Hypo (you get two types, hypo and hyper) 

• Hyper is when your blood sugar levels spikes up, normally when you take in too much sugar like a Coke or any other sugar laden treat. For us with a normal pancreas the body processes the spike and life goes on. For someone with diabetes the spike needs to be countered with a dose of insulin. 
  • Hypo is when your body burns more fuel than what's available and your blood sugar takes a dip. Now for a normal body it can recover quite quickly without too many "side effects" / "weird tingly feelings" but if you're already in the red that is when you'll bonk or start to feel the symptoms like what you're experiencing. 

To counter this: Move away from high sugar energy supplements, I'm going to name drop (sorry about that) - move away from stuff like: GU, Reb Bull, Monster, Energade, Poweraid, Game, Coke. 

Just do yourself a favor and look at the label before you buy the item, look specifically at the line that says: "Carbohydrates of which the total amount is Sugar" along with the other sugary family members: Fructose, Glucose etc.

Anything with a high sugar content will leave you in the lurch when you need it most. You need a natural supplement that will not spike your sugar levels and drop you after the body has used everything.

I do know and have been using a supplement for close to 6 years now, without it I'm flat and useless on the bike. I also become really hungry (Gastric dump) but with this I never have any symptoms and or I don't become as hungry either. Feel free to send me a PM then I will share it with you - Or anyone reading this. I see you're in Gauteng, I can even try to get some samples for you, I know the owner as well as the previous one for that matter  :D.

You may have symptoms similar to that of Hypoglycemia but please don't take my word for it, I'm just a guy on the internet 

A doctor told me it was related to my blood pressure dropping quickly after it had peaked during intensive exercise. I get it, accompanied by ringing in the ears in extreme cases.But I suffer from very low blood pressure.

Early signs of heat stroke can be tingling of the skin and goose bumps.

Just reiterating this one - you do not want to mess around with heat stroke out there.

Normal individuals do not get sugar highs and insulin spikes with associated lows from high sugar/high GI supplementation during exercise.

Normal individuals do not get sugar highs and insulin spikes with associated lows from high sugar/high GI supplementation during exercise.

Yes ... but SCARY how many diabetics go undiagnosed until a major event reveals this ....

Thankfully it is relatively easy for a doctor to check for the symptoms of diabetes, thus easy enough to remove this potentially dangerous item from the list.

Also worth noting that there are MANY very active sportsmen and woman out there that are diabetics.  Knowing and understanding your type and level of diabetes makes it possible to adapt your food\supplement intake accordingly. 

For my 2 hour rides I use normal diabatic snacks, and I take a GlucoGel\Glucerna type sachet with ... just in case I do suffer a sugar low.  Small sachet to "recover", then a standard snack to stabilize .... Easy enough when you are "calm", more fun when you add the adrenaline of a race and the heat of the trail .... couple of overlapping symptoms, so it can get interesting ....

Edited by ChrisF

Let me rather say that perhaps I don't fully understand what you say here as it is not my experience.

If you are properly hydrated and ate correctly during a race and you use a high sugar supplement then (in my experience) it is right what you say.

If you have not eaten properly or did not take enough liquid then in my opinion the statement cannot be correct. Then exactly that will happen.

Let me rather say that perhaps I don't fully understand what you say here as it is not my experience.

If you are properly hydrated and ate correctly during a race and you use a high sugar supplement then (in my experience) it is right what you say.

If you have not eaten properly or did not take enough liquid then in my opinion the statement cannot be correct. Then exactly that will happen.

During exercise cellular uptake of glucose, in the active muscle, is insulin independent. It uses different stimuli to activate GLUT4 pathways, etc.

In normal individuals, during exercise, it means that you will not have a sugar spike, follows by an overcompensated insulin spike, and ultimate drop in blood sugar. It simply doesn’t happen.

Guys, I'm wondering about something I've experienced a few times now (at least twice, very clearly). Usually in a competitive event when you're pushing yourself hard (you've been in the maximal aerobic zone a lot of the time) and really "running out of gas" towards the end on a hot day. Sometimes in those circumstances, I feel like my body goes into a kind of "shock". Hard to describe but I sort of get quite cold inside, then it goes away, then it comes again. Weirdest thing.

Anyone else experience this or know what it is or what it's called?

Cheers,

Mudlark

I call it blown top gasket or sometimes a bearing knock ????????????, I get them too when unfit and doing big rides instead of starting small and then progressing

I do know and have been using a supplement for close to 6 years now, without it I'm flat and useless on the bike. I also become really hungry (Gastric dump) but with this I never have any symptoms and or I don't become as hungry either. Feel free to send me a PM then I will share it with you - Or anyone reading this. I see you're in Gauteng, I can even try to get some samples for you, I know the owner as well as the previous one for that matter  :D.

I will drop you a private message but you could be onto something. For a while there, I could not use anything with sugar on a bike – particularly during the hot part of the day. It would pretty quickly make me feel nauseous and even throw up. My body seems to have adapted now and I am quite okay with the standard USN proteins/energy bars now – they don't make me feel off at all. But even since I have overcome that hurdle, I still have this "stress shock" phenomenon that I refer to. But it only seems to happen when I really put the hammer down in hot conditions. In a recent race, I had been going for two hours 41 minutes and my average heart rate was 154 bpm (maximum, 172) and I am on the wrong side of 50… It was really only towards the end of the race when temperatures reached 32°C that I started to experience this. But I would still be interested in knowing what you are using as a supplement.

A doctor told me it was related to my blood pressure dropping quickly after it had peaked during intensive exercise. I get it, accompanied by ringing in the ears in extreme cases.But I suffer from very low blood pressure.

Also a possibility here. I have an abnormally low resting heart rate (well sub 50) and my blood pressure, while not low from a health perspective is certainly on the low end of normal and if I use too much caffeine, I can have blackouts. So, interesting.