[Event] SRAM WC XCO Series Rhebokskloof Round 2

milky4130

Managed to sneak in a quick afternoon visit to Rhebokskloof, and man if the heat is going to be similar to tomorrow, then the late starters are going to take a beating....I recall the previous provincial xco was also a belter, as someone already mentioned here, so hopefully none of the same tomorrow please !!

The course is quite different and if I am not mistaken, many of the sections are now done in revers, with a view nice add-ons. (Thanks @Milkey for playing tour guide for me and taking me around).

I rate this course a lot less technical, but also a lot more technical. In terms of jumps and gaps, there ain't any, so if that is what you would see as technical, you ain't got nothing to worry about. BUT, contrary to what many believe, technical is NOT just jumps, and herein lies your challenge for tomorrow : a number of off-camber sections, and the whole route basically has a top layer of minute marbles, making even the basic of corners very tricky under speed. I suspect more folk will have front wheel wash-outs vs coming short on the few technical rocks gardens, and drop-off or two.

All in all, for me at least, very good of the organisers (WP MTB Commission) to try and change things a bit this time around instead of repeating the course of the previous 2 - 3 events. Well done to them, course is excellently marked (as is always the case for their events), the registration process was flawless en VERY quick, and the race village in the center of the course makes for good viewing and vibe.

Not sure on numbers, but expect a smaller turn-out for this event vs the first SA Cup (for obvious reasons), and also the start of the Epic on Sun morning. However, I am very excited to line up again tomorrow and enjoy the day with like minded folk, young and old....talking of young, flip it remains so awesome to see those kiddos out there having fun - the track was "littered" with them at practice this afternoon ! #kidsonbikes

See you boys and girls there tomorrow :clap:

it was my pleasure & boy did you make those drop offs & rock gardens look flat ????????

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if Milky and the Cap will agree but i really like the new route. All the old features are still in there, but you approach them from different angles and the climbs are slightly different, much more flow in the route.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

Realized today i am going to miss #3, so need to make the most of this one!

Going blind into this course, that going to be bad? If my home trails are trygerberg mtb trails.

Going blind into this course, that going to be bad? If my home trails are trygerberg mtb trails.

not at all, there is only 2 really “technically” sections the one being a sandy steep drop/ride off, that’s the A-Line. There is a B-Liné which will cost you a 5sec penalty as it’s longer.

The other technical section being the Main Rock garden Feature & Rock ride into a drop/ride off. In both just throw the weight back behind the saddle & send it.

Edited by milky4130

Not sure if Milky and the Cap will agree but i really like the new route. All the old features are still in there, but you approach them from different angles and the climbs are slightly different, much more flow in the route.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

Realized today i am going to miss #3, so need to make the most of this one!

dont get me wrong I’m happy, change is good. Those off camber corners are going to be challenging for sure.

Hey champs.

I enjoyed the course although i suffered a face plant on lap 2. Got up and continued but the heat seemed to affect me more than usual. I was just glad to reach the finish line and actually finish the race. Was tough but fun (in a perverse way).

Congratulations to the winner in our class, subvet men, Donavan. Not sure how he does but i finished a full 17 minutes behind him. But onwards and upwards to the next one. :) 

Hey champs.

I enjoyed the course although i suffered a face plant on lap 2. Got up and continued but the heat seemed to affect me more than usual. I was just glad to reach the finish line and actually finish the race. Was tough but fun (in a perverse way).

Congratulations to the winner in our class, subvet men, Donavan. Not sure how he does but i finished a full 17 minutes behind him. But onwards and upwards to the next one. :)

Dude try being his mate and going for a coffee ride.....

Not sure what final numbers were but obviously much less than round #1.

Conditions were brutal. Standing on the line at 1pm the temp was 40deg  :eek:

Course is tough with the sharp climbs that seem to get longer ever lap. Sandy corners also kept you on your toes throughout. I actually prefer the new track direction compared to last year.

Well done to all involved and see you at #3

Have not heard any negative comments / thoughts on this event, which is testament to the organizing body, being the volunteers and parents (WP MTB Commission), simply not running out of passion and commitment to host these events. BIG UPS to them !

This was my 3rd provincial race at Rheboks, and I have yet to do one there where the heat is not the biggest factor. It seems that all, me included, enjoyed the route this year, but by no means easier - both those two long climbs / drags made the ticker work overtime.

Pre-entries came in at about 200, with about 20 late entries, which is on par for xco events of the past, and considering the Epic (who saw a number of elites and other normal participants taking part), it was a fair turn out. We need to take responsibility as "older" participants and get more riders / mates to join these events. There are loads of perceptions about these events, which keeps people away from them, which will only change if they come and see and taste for themselves.....lets try our best to get more people involved in the last two events.  Was good to see all the vets and being full of banter and gees in the start chute.....let's build on that going forward.

any pics?

Not yet - the photographers also took a beating in that heat being out there from 7h30 in the morning up to the close of play at 3 pm.  Lets support these guys and buy images from them, even if we look like we're dying on the bikes - lol

I know they upload them in the week after the race, but sometimes they snap up to 1000 HD images per event.

Have not heard any negative comments / thoughts on this event, which is testament to the organizing body, being the volunteers and parents (WP MTB Commission), simply not running out of passion and commitment to host these events. BIG UPS to them !

This was my 3rd provincial race at Rheboks, and I have yet to do one there where the heat is not the biggest factor. It seems that all, me included, enjoyed the route this year, but by no means easier - both those two long climbs / drags made the ticker work overtime.

Pre-entries came in at about 200, with about 20 late entries, which is on par for xco events of the past, and considering the Epic (who saw a number of elites and other normal participants taking part), it was a fair turn out. We need to take responsibility as "older" participants and get more riders / mates to join these events. There are loads of perceptions about these events, which keeps people away from them, which will only change if they come and see and taste for themselves.....lets try our best to get more people involved in the last two events.  Was good to see all the vets and being full of banter and gees in the start chute.....let's build on that going forward.

Agree with the Captain about getting mates to join. I have asked all my mates but they all petrified of this format. This is the first time i am doing this format and i am loving it. I suffer loads and i am more on the back end of the field but totally worth doing.

Gets your fitness up and also improves technical skill when fatigued. 

PS what was in the promised goody bag? I forgot to collect mine.  :oops:

Really enjoyed this course layout, gave it more character and flow to the lap. Sandy off-camber corners made for interesting viewing. I was behind wine-maker Tim Hoek on one descent where he was fully locked up in a braking zone, drifting it in like a speedway rider. Looked really cool although he seemed to have a mechanical after that.

Have to say that the hardest part of the race was trying to avoid being disqualified as spectators tried to spray me with water. Apparently this is grounds for dismissal  :ph34r:

I have done a few of these XCO events and would love to take part in the series but cannot justify spending so much on entry fees.

I have done a few of these XCO events and would love to take part in the series but cannot justify spending so much on entry fees.

????

I really don't understand. It doesn't cost more than other MTB events is well organised and your family can be part of it instead of watching you ride off into the sunrise and reappear 4-5hrs later

Really enjoyed this course layout, gave it more character and flow to the lap. Sandy off-camber corners made for interesting viewing. I was behind wine-maker Tim Hoek on one descent where he was fully locked up in a braking zone, drifting it in like a speedway rider. Looked really cool although he seemed to have a mechanical after that.

Have to say that the hardest part of the race was trying to avoid being disqualified as spectators tried to spray me with water. Apparently this is grounds for dismissal  :ph34r:

Ha ha, I had an absolute 'mair of a race! From a puncture in practice which required new tyres, to forgetting my shoes at home, to breaking my waterbottle cage and then breaking my 'due for replacement' roval rear wheel!

You boys all rode well, respect on completing all 5 laps! 

I am missing the next race, but hopefully coming back stronger at the final race of the season.