Karoo 2 Coast Fitness

Porterville

Good day

I would like to hear from people that have done the Karoo 2 Coast - would it be possible to go from very unfit to fit enough to complete the Karoo 2 Coast (not worried about time, just want to finish within the cutt-off time) in 6 months?

Thanks - looking forward to your opinions.

Good day

I would like to hear from people that have done the Karoo 2 Coast - would it be possible to go from very unfit to fit enough to complete the Karoo 2 Coast (not worried about time, just want to finish within the cutt-off time) in 6 months?

Short answer, yes. Start training.

Yes we only started training 2 months before last year and did it comfortably. Just make sure you get enough to eat and drink at the water points of which there's plenty.

Yes we only started training 2 months before last year and did it comfortably. Just make sure you get enough to eat and drink at the water points of which there's plenty.

Thanks for the tip - I appreciate it!

Yes, the hardest part is the climbing - try to practice gravel road climbs of a few km long (about 4km) later when you have built up your fitness. Check out fittrack.co.za. There are training programs for different races. I use it as a guage. You definitely have enough time to practice for it. Just remember to enjoy the training rides as well.

Most defiantly! Most important is too practice those long climbs! If you do, you'll be very glad on the day you did! Set a training plan and stick to it as much as you can, and you'll most defiantly finish! 

Good day

Certainly is as that was me last year. Also what helped me was that I broke the race down into stages, my pre-race plan, and honestly think that is what got me through. 

2019 will be different though - will definitely put the kms in this time and try for a PB. 

Rode the back of Simola Climb on Saturday at the end of The Bull. That climb after a long ride I recon can hurt a man! First section very steep but then it flattens nicely.

In theory yes. As I keep saying, anybody can even do the Epic or an Iron Man. It's about training, approach and determination.

However, if you say very unfit - that is too vague. If you have never done any amount of riding before, have been unhealthy for years, possibly overweight, then be cautious and get a proper medical checkup to be sure. If of course you are still bulletproof (i.e. under 30) then just start training slow and build it up as much as possible. But yeah, use common sense i think.

Just my 2c

Certainly is as that was me last year. Also what helped me was that I broke the race down into stages, my pre-race plan, and honestly think that is what got me through. 

2019 will be different though - will definitely put the kms in this time and try for a PB. 

I rode K2C in 2016 and entered for this year again.

I broke the race up into stages, looked carefully at what point the climbs started and +- how long they lasted. 

My big goal was to make it to the 60km mark, as after this point you will notice the race becomes a lot more downhill - just keep a little bit left in the tank for Simola hill.

Training I did was on weekends doing 2 rides adding up to about 100km and 1700m - 2000m elevation total.

Good day

of course, it's all downhill!

depends what you mean by very unfit.

this guy says he works out.

budXK6lq.jpeg

the guy on the left says he's not fit

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Le+Tour+de+France+2015+Stage+Ten+SH7fWLWfFnOl.jpg

I'd suggest you build up over the year, it's a very achievable task.

I rode K2C in 2016 and entered for this year again.

I broke the race up into stages, looked carefully at what point the climbs started and +- how long they lasted. 

My big goal was to make it to the 60km mark, as after this point you will notice the race becomes a lot more downhill - just keep a little bit left in the tank for Simola hill.

Training I did was on weekends doing 2 rides adding up to about 100km and 1700m - 2000m elevation total.

Yip, if you enter and have a plan - it is certainly achievable. K2C was up until the start the longest ride I had ever done, and something I was not prepared for was the time I would spend on the saddle.