Replacing crank arms

Red Bird

I currently run a GXP Sram XX 2x10 crankset, used for 1x12. The issue is that the spider and crank arm is one piece and the BCD is 120. Running a smaller chainring on the inner BC will just look weird... That only allows for a 36t chainring minimum, but I have felt the need for a smaller chainring in certain conditions, such as XCO. It seems that one could get away with just buying new crank arms (much cheaper too) instead of replacing the entire crank.

1) Could I just replace the crank arms and buy a direct mount spider?

2) What do I need to look at to make sure I buy compatible crank arms?

From what I have read about GXP BB's is that it has a 24mm spline on the drive side and 22mm on the non-drive side. The current Q-factor is 166mm.

Thanks.

post-39356-0-86893900-1552555686_thumb.png

Edited by Engel-a

Crank arms = cranks. You can buy a spare left crank for SRAM cranks, but that's not going to help you at all.

Most SRAM cranks are 168 Q factor, it's only the XX and XX1 that give you an option of a narrower Q.

If you've already got a 50T on the back, your options are a new crankset or a cup of cement. For the first, there are a few direct mount options out there - how concerned are you about weight?

Thanks droo. I am not too much concerned about weight if it only makes 200g difference. I've seen that the GX crankset is on sale at Bike-Addict, but I have no idea if OEM is anything to be concerned about?

post-39356-0-77067000-1552558134_thumb.png

Yeah what do you crank arms are much cheaper than entire cranks? They're the exact same thing, the spindle is part of the drive side crank, its all one piece.. The resale on those xx cranks are unfortunately terrible because theyre not meant for 1x. If youre not concerned to go carbon again then there are many options. Get any sram crank that has a removable spider, then you can get a dm chainring if you want, otherwise the bcd tends to be 94 if im correct. If you want carbon again, the xo cranks are super popular for good reason.

Edited by Jacoo

Thanks droo. I am not too much concerned about weight if it only makes 200g difference. I've seen that the GX crankset is on sale at Bike-Addict, but I have no idea if OEM is anything to be concerned about?

Does that include the chainring? Not a bad deal

Yeah what do you crank arms are much cheaper than entire cranks? They're the exact same thing, the spindle is part of the drive side crank, its all one piece.. The resale on those xx cranks are unfortunately terrible because theyre not meant for 1x. If youre not concerned to go carbon again then there are many options. Get any sram crank that has a removable spider, then you can get a dm chainring if you want, otherwise the bcd tends to be 94 if im correct. If you want carbon again, the xo cranks are super popular for good reason.

I have seen RaceFace crank arms for under R2000... Now I know it's all one piece - thanks  :thumbup:

This will work perfectly. 

OEM just means it was a take-off off a new complete bike.

Not sure if this effects warranty but I'm sure the bike shop would be able to answer that.

Also look at the Rapide cranks or Lyne, they fairly cheap and work well.

• 2 years later...

Thread resurrection 

I bent my left crank , sram nx dub direct mount on 1x12. Boost. It's threaded bottom bracket. 

I want to replace the 1 arm or worst case just buy 2 crank arms.

What do I need to consider when buying? Must I buy boost crankset with the spindle?

Can I remove the right crank arm from that spindle without having to go to an lbs?

Must I buy direct mount crank or can I buy a spider mount , how do I cater for the boost offset.

My Google skills confused me

Edited by MajG

1 hour ago, porqui said:

Unless someone bent the right crank !!

Just requested in that thread

Shot