Dual sus - Vipa trail or what else?

Ruru

Hi all

I'm looking at a Momsen Vipa trail 1. They are running a special - around R36k.

Few questions:

1. Someone told me that the Vipa chain stay flexes excessively. Anyone have experience of this?

2. Other bikes in this price range that I could look at? Preferably 120mm travel up front

Thanks

Hi all

Few questions:

1. Someone told me that the Vipa chain stay flexes excessively. Anyone have experience of this?

2. Other bikes in this price range that I could look at? Preferably 120mm travel up front

Thanks

So many other options.

Trance 29 tops the list for me.

My budget is 40k max. Trance 29 2 is 10k more than Vipa for an Alu bike. Momsen is full carbon. I don’t need more than 120mm of travel for the type of riding I do.

Anybody know anything about Momsen chain stays flexing too much.

The Trance 29 2 is R44k I believe. Shop around! I was able to get a nice discount off my Trance 29 1. Doing the same would probably get you once for R38k odd

I'd far rather have the trance 2 than a vipa trail, even considering the different frame materials. Alu isn't a crap frame material either. Can often be better than carbon.

If it were me I would look at:

Level of components

Weight

Unfortunately they are linked, but a well specked Alu bike will be lighter than a poorly specked Carbon bike. Also the weight saving will typically be in the fork and the wheels, that is where it counts.

In addition (flame suite one, but it is a fact) Then who needs more than 100 mm of travel in SA unless you are doing downhill. I don't know of any regular trails than need more than that.

In addition (flame suite one, but it is a fact) Then who needs more than 100 mm of travel in SA unless you are doing downhill. I don't know of any regular trails than need more than that.

Travel a bike not maketh.

It's not about the travel. It's about the angles that comes with it. LOTS of people need more than 100mm travel as MTB isn't either XC or Downhill. There are many trails to be ridden in between that aren't downhill that a more comfortable, slacker bike with a bit more travel will make A LOT more fun than a 100mm bike. Again, it's not the 100mm here, it's the INTENDED purpose of 100mm bikes that makes it the wrong bike for 80% of people who buys them.

If it were me I would look at:

Level of components

Weight

Unfortunately they are linked, but a well specked Alu bike will be lighter than a poorly specked Carbon bike. Also the weight saving will typically be in the fork and the wheels, that is where it counts.

It's alllll about the geometry. And yeah, you don't NEED more than 100mm travel for "most of our trails" just like you don't need PED's to hang with the big boys on the tour, but it sure as hell helps! 

A well built 115mm travel bike with good geo would always trump a 150mm bike with crap geo. But a 150mm bike with good geo is a completely different animal, and can foster skills development and confidence building far more readily than the 100mm bike that you're harping on about as the "most our trails need"

And guess what? As long as the bike pedals nicely, I want as much travel as I can get to make up for those butt-puckering moments on Status Quo, Pat's Right, The Slab or Mother-In-Law. And yes, even Hoogies descents. And I'd never, EVER recommend a 100mm XC whip to a beginner. It's just not relevant to their needs, and a bike with more travel / better geo will serve them far more suitably in their pursuit of skillzz and steeze

Hi all

Few questions:

Thanks

I have a Vipa Trail One. Love it. All around bike that I haven't been able to push to its limits. Did Trans Baviaans on it last year. Chainstay flex? Dunno who said that. That bike is solid. If you lock the rear shocks out its stiffer than a hardtail.

I have a Vipa Trail One. Love it. All around bike that I haven't been able to push to its limits. Did Trans Baviaans on it last year. Chainstay flex? Dunno who said that. That bike is solid. If you lock the rear shocks out its stiffer than a hardtail.

I suspect you've never held the frame and rear wheel in your hand and tried to move it...Chain and seatstay flex for days. And let's be serious..Trans Baviaans is not MTB riding. It's not going to "test your bike".

I suspect you've never held the frame and rear wheel in your hand and tried to move it...Chain and seatstay flex for days. And let's be serious..Trans Baviaans is not MTB riding. It's not going to "test your bike".

Cue butthurt response in 3, 2, 1......

Archived