29er Wide RIMS (30mm inner): Recommended Tyre Size

pedal menace

I just purchased a new Carbon MTB 29 Wheelset with wide RIMS (35mm outer, 30mm inner width). What would the recommended tyre size (width) be for this RIM. I have a brand new Conti RaceKing Protection 2.2 but I suspect that 2.2 is too small for this wide RIM. I would really appreciate any advice as to best tyre fit. Just for Info: This will be used on my hard tail and riding will be mostly on the road. Appreaciate any feedback I will get!  :thumbup:

Edited by pedal menace

I'd reccommend a 2.35 or 2.4 tyre for that. There are a couple XC options in that width that will work for your purposes - Maxxis Ardent Race, Aspen, Ikon.

But use your Conti up first, it's not ideal, but if you ride road it's not like you are going to cut a sidewall.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

2.2 or 2.25 will not be too narrow. It will give the tyre a very nice square profile, since you are using the bike mostly on the road, you need nothing more than the 2.2

For the record I have a 2.6 on the front and 2.4 on the rear with 30mm inner rims at this moment in time.

2.2 or 2.25 will not be too narrow. It will give the tyre a very nice square profile, since you are using the bike mostly on the road, you need nothing more than the 2.2

For the record I have a 2.6 on the front and 2.4 on the rear with 30mm inner rims at this moment in time.

Tx for the feedback...would the 2.2 not result in a "too square" profile with a possible risk of it jumping off the rim? Sorry just asking? I stand to be corrected but I think the Conti 2.2 is narrower than some other 2.2 brands...but that is just speculation :-)

I'd reccommend a 2.35 or 2.4 tyre for that. There are a couple XC options in that width that will work for your purposes - Maxxis Ardent Race, Aspen, Ikon.

But use your Conti up first, it's not ideal, but if you ride road it's not like you are going to cut a sidewall.

Tx! Was just wondering of the 2.2 will seal properly and not be too square

Conti is a little narrower than some brands but should be fine.

I am running 2.25 rear and 2.35 front but had both at 2.25 with no issues.

Sorry did not read properly see you say the rim's are carbon some carbon rims has a very small bead.

Pump the tyre's up to 3bar if they don't pop off it should be fine.

If most riding will be done on the road, you can mount pretty much any MTB tire. 

Wide rims essentially allow guys to run bigger tires at softer pressures, which you won't really be doing, so you are worrying over nothing.

Enjoy the new rims! 

Thank you all. It seems the consensus is that my Conti 2.2's will fit these RIMS! Phew..no need to buy new tyres! I pump my wheels to about 2.5 bar when riding on the road. 

Tx! Was just wondering of the 2.2 will seal properly and not be too square

It will seal - I've used Maxxis 2.1 on a 30mm rim before (Maxxis are even narrower than they claimed) and it was fine. Like I said, not ideal - profile is a bit square which exposes the sidewalls - but if you are riding lots of road it should not be an issue. Ride your tyre until it dies and then replace witj 2.35/2.4.

I'm running Onza Ibex 2.4 in the front and Onza Canis 2.25 in the rear on 30mm internals.

Edit: Need to read. If you're primarily riding on the road and not on trails then 2.2's will be more than fine.

Edited by bertusras

I'm running Onza Ibex 2.4 in the front and Onza Canis 2.25 in the rear on 30mm internals.

Edit: Need to read. If you're primarily riding on the road and not on trails then 2.2's will be more than fine.

98% riding on the road with this bike  :thumbup:  :thumbup: