Riding Tokai Alone on Weekends

Odin775

I posted to get personal opinions of people that actually ride in Tokai. I wanted to know how safe it is in terms of crashing and anyone actually finding you somewhere in the bushes (How busy it is on weekends) and the safety in terms of security as there are other articles/posts which suggest it is not that safe. Thanks for the constructive replies.

Nothing reported within the last year surely?

071 424 4712 is the number to call if you do a proper job of crashing. 

As Headshot said the bakkie is in the park over weekends to help in an emergency.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha ha Mr Brink. Just imagine the carnage if I hadn't had those big rotors. Then again these were SRAM brakes. Shimano would have stopped me a meter before:-)

Ha ha Mr Brink. Just imagine the carnage if I hadn't had those big rotors. Then again these were SRAM brakes. Shimano would have stopped me a meter before:-)

SRAM give that early-warning squeal. #safetyfirst

SRAM give that early-warning squeal. #safetyfirst

Yip from all that hydraulic pressure being unleashed on a thin steel blade.

but I reckon a simple "mine mine mine mine" would have sufficed

I posted to get personal opinions of people that actually ride in Tokai. I wanted to know how safe it is in terms of crashing and anyone actually finding you somewhere in the bushes (How busy it is on weekends) and the safety in terms of security as there are other articles/posts which suggest it is not that safe. Thanks for the constructive replies.

I came screaming down Vasbyt yesterday afternoon and crashed after my pedal clipped a tree stump and sent me swirling aimlessly at a breakneck speed into the bushes. It was spectacular!! My buddy was behind me and he confirmed it was amazing and rated my technical dismount 10/10. I got up and rode again. Iced my arm for a couple of hours afterwards and had a double dose of anti-inflammatory just for good measure.

Can't wait to go again. It's lekke.

I wouldn't say it's dangerous at all. Just pick your downhills well and ride according to your skill and familiarity. 

When I ride alone I always take my phone with me as a precaution. I'm never worried about safety against skollies. The area is well patrolled. Riding the tokai greenbelt is something else. It's open and I won't do that alone without being willing to give up what i have. But i've been known to not care about that.

Archived