Riding Tokai Alone on Weekends

Odin775

The Glen has been a bit spicy in the last 12 months with militant dog walkers, logs, some tacks and a couple of wire incidents. 

Odd, not seen any of the logs and only heard of the one wire incident and we ride there every Tue and Thu  :eek:

The dog walkers trying to walk UP the steeper part an get EFF'd. Like really I'm sorry but you know you're walking somewhere where we have minimal chance to see ahead or stop. Go walk on the other side where we're not allowed to ride  :thumbup:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Odd, not seen any of the logs and only heard of the one wire incident and we ride there every Tue and Thu  :eek:

The dog walkers trying to walk UP the steeper part an get EFF'd. Like really I'm sorry but you know you're walking somewhere where we have minimal chance to see ahead or stop. Go walk on the other side where we're not allowed to ride  :thumbup:

Hardly anything really comparable to the time and usage. Mostly early mornings tbh. I ride 3 - 4 mornings a week that side around TM, LH and the rest and to be honest for the population and proximity to main roads I'm surprised there hasn't been more grumbling from residents and incidents. 

From what I remember there was 1 well discussed wire incident, one that I found when walking dogs early in December that was reported to ADT / Police. That was low and would have been a wheel grabber rather than the other neck ones and there was one other mid last year from recollection. Logs were dragged for a short while but only up near the top turns and half hearted to be honest. Put that down to a grumpy old guy with a yorkie.

I get the thing about walking on the track but you also have to understand that 99% of people who aren't there on bikes don't know what you can see and what you can't as a rider and it's a pretty new thing for a lot of them after years of it pretty much being sole use. It's a case share and get used to each other like the Kirstenbosch and the other trails that are opening up across the mountain. It's a shared locations with massively different experiences for the people involved. Tools are tools what ever but unfortunately people are quick to label them as 'walkers' or 'riders' or whatever and jump up and down about that instead. 

There should be dedicated MTB trails in places like the Glen, Signal Hill and TM. This thing of opening up hiking trails for bikes and then making said trails faster with berms and such like is asking for *** in the long run. With so little track on TM  actually open to bikes, you'd think that walkers would be more considerate especially at times when bike traffic is high. 

I had an incident in Cecilia on a dual direction trail the other day. Another rider was coming up as I dropped in. The bush has grown quite tall so neither of us could see the other.  I hit him relatively gently but he was still knocked into the bushes. No injuries or damage  on either side but a wake up call nonetheless. 

The walkers are considerate, and so are the bikers (well the ones I ride with anyway).

The only place I take issue is in the upper portion of the Glen.

I mean it's very steep and poeffie to walk up in the first place and let's be serias...Ppl walking there are well aware it's a MTB trail in any case. Ppl have been riding it long before it was officially opened.

As for the other trails. I very much like the fact that they are shared. For one it means they will never be turned into more bike park type trails for which I am thankful. We have plenty enough of that in the WC if we want to go ride it anyway.

The walkers are considerate, and so are the bikers (well the ones I ride with anyway).

The only place I take issue is in the upper portion of the Glen.

I mean it's very steep and poeffie to walk up in the first place and let's be serias...Ppl walking there are well aware it's a MTB trail in any case. Ppl have been riding it long before it was officially opened.

As for the other trails. I very much like the fact that they are shared. For one it means they will never be turned into more bike park type trails for which I am thankful. We have plenty enough of that in the WC if we want to go ride it anyway.

The point I was making is that tracks like the Glen and TM have been bike parked up a bit. This results in higher speeds on dual use trails where bikes and walkers may be moving in opposite directions. This is unsafe. Every time I ride the dual use trails on TM I end up with traffic which ruins the experience IMO. 

The point I was making is that tracks like the Glen and TM have been bike parked up a bit. This results in higher speeds on dual use trails where bikes and walkers may be moving in opposite directions. This is unsafe. Every time I ride the dual use trails on TM I end up with traffic which ruins the experience IMO. 

Which trails have been bike parked up on TM? The lil Rhodes mem/UCT stuff like Plumb Pudding you meaning? Or the lower down stuff that side by the reservoir?

We very seldom have any actual issues in the Glen anyway. It's mostly down the bottom where it's flatter and both people can see each other coming so honestly no biggie.

I posted to get personal opinions of people that actually ride in Tokai. I wanted to know how safe it is in terms of crashing and anyone actually finding you somewhere in the bushes (How busy it is on weekends) and the safety in terms of security as there are other articles/posts which suggest it is not that safe. Thanks for the constructive replies.

I posted to get personal opinions of people that actually ride in Tokai. I wanted to know how safe it is in terms of crashing and anyone actually finding you somewhere in the bushes (How busy it is on weekends) and the safety in terms of security as there are other articles/posts which suggest it is not that safe. Thanks for the constructive replies.

I ride there alone alot. It feels very remote at times. The last time I had a nasty fall there was about 4 years ago. One of the baboon monitor guys came to my aid.

Also there are look outs but cant comment as to what they can see etc.

http://tokaimtb.co.za

Check the website for info and our emergency number. The ToakiMTB bakkie is in attendance on weekends and will respond to emergency calls. The article everyone has referred you to answers some of your questions.

Make sure you have the emergency numbers on you. I've come across a guy who crashed,  and dislocated his shoulder on the bottom snakes. It was sticking out at such a weird angle and was riding it out to the car park, one handed, to then drive to the hospital. He said he didn't want to bother the TokaiMTB guys and headed off. :eek:  

Made me think what would happen if you are riding alone and broke something / KO'd yourself up at the top of Cobra or somewhere that has less okes coming through. 

Make sure you have the emergency numbers on you. I've come across a guy who crashed, and dislocated his shoulder on the bottom snakes. It was sticking out at such a weird angle and was riding it out to the car park, one handed, to then drive to the hospital. He said he didn't want to bother the TokaiMTB guys and headed off. :eek:

Made me think what would happen if you are riding alone and broke something / KO'd yourself up at the top of Cobra or somewhere that has less okes coming through.

All the trails from level 4 and down see a lot of traffic, you would be spectacularly unlucky to crash and not be found.

There should be dedicated MTB trails in places like the Glen, Signal Hill and TM. This thing of opening up hiking trails for bikes and then making said trails faster with berms and such like is asking for *** in the long run. With so little track on TM  actually open to bikes, you'd think that walkers would be more considerate especially at times when bike traffic is high. 

I had an incident in Cecilia on a dual direction trail the other day. Another rider was coming up as I dropped in. The bush has grown quite tall so neither of us could see the other.  I hit him relatively gently but he was still knocked into the bushes. No injuries or damage  on either side but a wake up call nonetheless. 

You would have been able to stop with bigger rotors.

*coat/door

All the trails from level 4 and down see a lot of traffic, you would be spectacularly unlucky to crash and not be found.

Still, if you ride alone, it is smart to carry some form if ID, medical aid details and perhaps a contact number for next of kin. If you get seriously injured, it will make it easier for whoever responds to help you. Consider an ICE ID bracelet or an ICE ID function on your phone that will always be accessible to helpers. (Phones get smashed) Even a credit card type thing with the right details in your pocket will work.

Still, if you ride alone, it is smart to carry some form if ID, medical aid details and perhaps a contact number for next of kin. If you get seriously injured, it will make it easier for whoever responds to help you. Consider an ICE ID bracelet or an ICE ID function on your phone that will always be accessible to helpers. (Phones get smashed) Even a credit card type thing with the right details in your pocket will work.

The new Spez helmet emergency thingy that calls your wife/mother/whatever if you crash is pretty cool if you ride alone.

ANGi

I ride alone a lot. I also run up the mountain alone 6 days a week. My missus is insisting I get a spot tracker and one of these ANGi things 'just so that they know'.

I'm not sure it's entirely a bad idea 

I ride alone many weekends.  From Bridal Path on the right, all the way to Silvermine on the left.

On weekends see the great guys (not rude, like some palooka was trying to insinuate) TokaiMTB guys often patrolling, and also recently SAPS guys on quadbikes.  

Great local trails for me.

Archived