Converting from 8 spd to 11 spd for IDT

Friedpiggy

So my first ever road bike is just sitting in the garage. It has Shimano Claris on it (8 speed) My trainer is the Kickr 4 with an 11 speed cassette. Am I right that I only need to replace the rear mech and the rear shifter to get the bike 11 speed compatible? Or would I need to fiddle with the chainrings as well?

Wanting to set it up as a permanent mount on the trainer so I can get my current steed set up for the road again.

You Would need an 11spd Chain too.

Can you not replace the 11 Spd Cassete on the Kickr with an 8 speed?

I could put an 8 onto the kickr I suppose but that would be heading backwards as far as I am concerned. Was mainly wondering if the 11spd chain would work on the 8 spd chainrings. Dont really want to redo the entire bike just for the idt. May as well buy an el cheapo game special that is 11 spd and drop that on then since bike weight makes no difference

Just went through same thing, had to change 7 speed chain to 10 speed.(i have 10 speed cluster) The 10 speed chain works fine on original chainring.I have downtube shifters, so indexing was not issue. I get 9 gears, more than enough.

The 11 speed chain wont work.

Also, you dont really need a wide range of gears on the IDT, so why not mount the 8speed cluster with spacers on the trainer. Really is the easiest and cheapest way out.

Am I missing something here? I never shift on my trainer - it kinda defies the purpose of having a smart trainer. 

I would therefore suggest running the 8 speed that is currently on the bike. 

Am I missing something here? I never shift on my trainer - it kinda defies the purpose of having a smart trainer. 

I would therefore suggest running the 8 speed that is currently on the bike. 

Depends if you are in ERG (Workout) mode then you do not change gear.  If free riding or sometimes called slope mode, you ride as you would outdoors and change gears

I also put an 8 speed cassette on my Kickr4 and if I recall correctly you just need to use the spacer they provide in the trainer box. I'm also using a dedicated Raleigh that I bought for dirt cheap as a trainer only bike. CWC had 8 speed cassettes for cheap last time I checked.

11sp chain won't work on 8sp rings, so it's either chain, rings, cassette and shifter or an 8sp Sunrace cassette.

I know what I'd be doing.

11 speed chain will definitely work on 8 speed rings, its only the outer diameter of the chain that changes.

11 speed chain will definitely work on 8 speed rings, its only the outer diameter of the chain that changes.

Actually the width of the chain.  rest is same.

Actually the width of the chain.  rest is same.

Yes but the outer width, the inner width doesn't change. Therefore it will work on any system. Even a 5 speed.

Yes but the outer width, the inner width doesn't change. Therefore it will work on any system. Even a 5 speed.

yeah, except that the derailleurs are designed around the outer width of the chain, so it won't shift properly if at all. 

yeah, except that the derailleurs are designed around the outer width of the chain, so it won't shift properly if at all.

That makes no sense at all. The contact points are all on the inside of the chain.

I will concede performance of front derailed will not be as good. But it will absolutely shift. It will just be slower.

As a permanent bike on the smart trainer, just upgrade the 8spd components i.e new chain and cassette.

It doesn't need to be upgraded to 11spd as if you are in ERG mode then you stay in one gear and the smart trainer does the rest.  If you free riding or racing, then just race as an 8spd.  

If you think the hills are going to be tough running an 8spd, then it is good training and HTFU, else change the trainer setting to 50% or less to make the hills easier

Archived