Compatible ratios on 12 speed MTBs

bobbejaan

Hey there, I'm a long time member, don't post very often.. so here's the question...

If I have a 12 speed cassette with 50t large sprocket, what is the maximum tooth count that the front chainring can support?

Is a 50t x 50t combo even possible with 12 speed chains?

Asking for a 1x12 combo upgrade I'm planning on...

Thanks..

Edited by bobbejaan

Hey there, I'm a long time member, don't post very often.. so here's the question...

If I have a 12 speed cassette with 50t large sprocket, what is the maximum tooth count that the front chainring can support?

Is a 50t x 50t combo even possible with 12 speed chains?

Asking for a 1x12 combo upgrade I'm planning on...

Thanks..

Won't capacity in this case just be defined by chain length?

The cassette won't be the limiting factor. The real question to ask is if your frame can accommodate a ring that size without buggering up the chain line and if you can find a chain long enough.

So to answer your question - Yes, you can use a 50t chainring on that cassette

The cassette won't be the limiting factor. The real question to ask is if your frame can accommodate a ring that size without buggering up the chain line and if you can find a chain long enough.

So to answer your question - Yes, you can use a 50t chainring on that cassette

^^this. The only factor other than chainstay clearance would be that you'll have to find a chain long enough, or buy 2 chains and connect them using 2 quicklinks. A normal 116 link chain will not fit on a setup like that. 

That's going to the extreme though, I mean, no one would need a 50x50t combo - the idea is a sort of gravel bike hybrid - large up front for long distance but still compatible with MTB climbing ratios.. want at least a 42t up front...

I'm looking at a direct mount cinch style Easton 1x chainring that goes up to 50t, want to include the sunrace 50t system, so specifically what's the highest front chainring tooth count I can do without extreme chain mods?

maybe another question ....  The "narrow-wide" front ring for use with a 12 speed chain is a special piece of kit ... what is the largest available such ring ?

the next item (has been mentioned above) relates to the specific frame.  The ring needs to be alligned with the rear cluster, while clearing the chainstay.  On many frames this limits the options to 34 or 36 teeth ...

Edited by ChrisF

That's going to the extreme though, I mean, no one would need a 50x50t combo - the idea is a sort of gravel bike hybrid - large up front for long distance but still compatible with MTB climbing ratios.. want at least a 42t up front...

I'm looking at a direct mount cinch style Easton 1x chainring that goes up to 50t, want to include the sunrace 50t system, so specifically what's the highest front chainring tooth count I can do without extreme chain mods?

36 or 38, I reckon. I think Kulharvey runs a 38 or 36 but not sure what cassette he uses. Prob eagle, which means 50t. 

The new Santa Cruz Stigmata has a build option simular to what you seem to be going for. The bike is equipped with an Eagle 10-50 casette and a 42T "Narrow-wide" chainring up-front

So I would recommend looking at road/CX cranksets because the bigger 38/40/42/etc chainrings are mostly 5-bolt. If you are keen on using a direct mount crank/chainring then you might be limited in chairing size or brands (I know Easton has what you are looking for).

I would also say that the most important thing to do is to determine what the max chainring size is that your frame can accommodate effectively. From there you can decide on the rest.

As said above the frame will be the limiting factor. Both my mtb and gravel bikes are 1x10 cobbled together. Both casettes are 11-42.

My MTB can only take up to a 36 front ring, I run a 34 oval.

On my gravel commuter I have a 40t front ring. If it is a gravel frame I have seen up to 44t narrow wide rings. Not sure if there are larger ones.

Good luck and let us know how it turned out!

MTB frames can't accommodate road/cx cranks because those cranks don't have sufficient clearance for the chainstays.

Mtb cranks are limited to a 38T maybe 40T chainring d often the crank has to be spaced further outboard creating suboptimal chainline.

If building a gravel bike with gravel frame as a base you have options. 

If starting with a MTB hardtail you're going to be limited to what you can do un

maybe another question ....  The "narrow-wide" front ring for use with a 12 speed chain is a special piece of kit ... what is the largest available such ring ?

the next item (has been mentioned above) relates to the specific frame.  The ring needs to be alligned with the rear cluster, while clearing the chainstay.  On many frames this limits the options to 34 or 36 teeth ...

SRAM have 50T N/W chainrings in 5 bolt 110mm BCD and Wolftooth do a 54T Direct Mount option. 

MTB frames can't accommodate road/cx cranks because those cranks don't have sufficient clearance for the chainstays.

Mtb cranks are limited to a 38T maybe 40T chainring d often the crank has to be spaced further outboard creating suboptimal chainline.

If building a gravel bike with gravel frame as a base you have options. 

If starting with a MTB hardtail you're going to be limited to what you can do un

This is what I was worried about, but MTB's do fine in general with up to 48t up front, it's the chainline at the extremes... which has always been the limiting factor. 

consider this product : 

https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/easton/products/easton-combo-gravel-chainring

it has a few MTB-esque options for what they define as gravel / cyclocross...

question is, will it support a 12 speed system aft? 

even 2x11 option with a 46t / 36t combo up front would be nice..

it comes in a narrow-wide variant which goes up to 50t https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/easton/products/easton-direct-mount-chainring?variant=27708413280340 with the direct mounting system, raceface for instance, would put the crank at it's closest inboard limit, still... a narrow-wide 50t chainring, would like to try... 

Edited by bobbejaan

This is what I was worried about, but MTB's do fine in general with up to 48t up front, it's the chainline at the extremes... which has always been the limiting factor. 

consider this product : https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/easton/products/easton-combo-gravel-chainring

it has a few MTB-esque options for what they define as gravel / cyclocross...

question is, will it support a 12 speed system aft? 

even 2x11 option with a 46t / 36t combo up front would be nice..

it comes in a narrow-wide variant which goes up to 50t https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/easton/products/easton-direct-mount-chainring?variant=27708413280340 with the direct mounting system, raceface for instance, would put the crank at it's closest inboard limit, still... a narrow-wide 50t chainring, would like to try...

Well it depends on the mtb frame. Newer boost frames don't do well with bigger chain rings.

older hardtails can cope. So we need to be looking at specific parts and frames. Speaking generally probably won't help you with your build

Well it depends on the mtb frame. Newer boost frames don't do well with bigger chain rings.

older hardtails can cope. So we need to be looking at specific parts and frames. Speaking generally probably won't help you with your build

Understood, thanks for responding :)

is there a measurement standard on the frame that I can check?

It's an entry level Giant 2018, Talon 3, 3x8 shimano altus/acera combo 48,36,26... internal cable routing

Still kicking myself for buying it new, should've bought a gravel frame... 

Edited by bobbejaan

If the Frame is non boost you could be in luck because the stays are narrower. Will need to check how beefy the bridge area behind the BB is and then you'll likely want the chainring in the middle position. You got some pics?

Understood, thanks for responding :)

is there a measurement standard on the frame that I can check?

It's an entry level Giant 2018, Talon 3, 3x8 shimano altus/acera combo 48,36,26... internal cable routing

Still kicking myself for buying it new, should've bought a gravel frame... 

well it already has a 36T in the middle there so you'd probably be able to sqeeze a 38T max in there if you really wanted to. 

Are 38T n/w aftermarket chainrings even regularly available though?