Help with cable

_freak_

Hi All

I replaced the 105 rear derailer on my Giant gravel bike with an XT derailer to enable me to run a bigger sprocket at the rear.

No im a little stock as the "gap" between the cable routing on the frame and the pully on the XT derailer is a bit short...

post-12987-0-08235800-1562305771_thumb.jpg

but id be willing to give the short cable housing a try first if I were you?...the angle doesn't look THAT awkward on your pic.

Just make sure the little hook on the derailleur arm thing where it bolts onto hanger sits right against the one on the hanger...tighten it in this position.

Cut the housing so it goes in on both sides with a few mm extra so you have to bend it slightly to get it in?

Route the cable and fasten but don't cut it yet. see if it works throughout the range once you set the gears.

Found some other examples of shortish cables in this area that seem to work:

edit: funny enough the bottom one uses a Goat/Roadlink too i see lol

post-64325-0-37138700-1562308502_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-23908800-1562308510_thumb.jpg

Edited by morneS555

cool, ill give it bash

I have some extra housing I will cut first to test... was just unsure about that angle...but if it works for someone else it work...

not gonna buy the extension, already had the expense for the XT 

Just keep in mind the wolftooth will not extend the range of your derailure.  It can increase rear capacity, but the derailure range needs to remain in spec.

understood

the 105 & XT both are 11spd

and the pull ratio on the 105 & XT are the same, i checked this with LSB first...

I think Ashchest means the total tooth capacity of chain slack that the derailleur is capable of picking up (this is the main difference between short, medium and long cage deraillerurs). I haven't used one of the hanger extenders but I don't think that they compensate for this - as I understand it, they only have the effect that you can accommodate a larger low gear on the rear derailleur but they don't enable you to take up more chain slack than the derailleur is able to accommodate as standard from the factory. If I am incorrect in this regard, I would appreciate hearing from one of the other posters on the subject.

I think Ashchest means the total tooth capacity of chain slack that the derailleur is capable of picking up (this is the main difference between short, medium and long cage deraillerurs). I haven't used one of the hanger extenders but I don't think that they compensate for this - as I understand it, they only have the effect that you can accommodate a larger low gear on the rear derailleur but they don't enable you to take up more chain slack than the derailleur is able to accommodate as standard from the factory. If I am incorrect in this regard, I would appreciate hearing from one of the other posters on the subject.

make sense...

the XT i got is comparable with the sprocket set i bought... and the XT is comparable with the 105 shifter...

^shimano Saint (what i run)/Zee rear derailleur is short cage and specked up to 36T stock...even though it can be pushed to 42 because the B screw is long enough....but it works better with n goat-link as you dont have to crank the b screw down. The Link effectively gives you a longer B screw. 

heres a stock Zee with a 11-42. plenty of room for more slack. Obviously with long cage it changes...but then you wouldn't need a link for a long cage to begin with.

EDIT:  literally all it does is it replaces the stock link on the derailleur and move s it just far enough so that the top jockey wheel does not contact the dish while shifting into it right at the top. Talking mm's. the difference between a 36T's chain length vs a 42T is something like 3 links

post-64325-0-39912800-1562314122_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-64854100-1562314301_thumb.jpg

Edited by morneS555

The new Shimano Ultegra rear derailleurs comes with a very flexible piece of cable housing which should work perfectly.  I am not so sure about the 105 shifter working with the XT derailleur though.

The new Shimano Ultegra rear derailleurs comes with a very flexible piece of cable housing which should work perfectly.  I am not so sure about the 105 shifter working with the XT derailleur though.

I used this flexible housing on my road bike using an Ultegra derailleur with a 11-40t XT cassette.

post-4408-0-38662800-1562322082_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

understood

the 105 & XT both are 11spd

and the pull ratio on the 105 & XT are the same, i checked this with LSB first...

So...

my "well known" local bike shop in Pretoria in Graham Rd, seem to have incompetent people working there…

The XT derailer DOES NOT WORK on the 105 shifter as I was told…

So I’ll have to go for the Wolftooth adaptor, Rapide is out of stock unfortunately…

FWIW I think you can make this work with what you've got. The cage on that XT deraileur is plenty long enough for the chain required and the XT should accommodate the big cassette without an issue.

I run an 11-40 cassette with an ultegra derailleur and goattooth hanger extender and an 11-36 on a redrilled Di2 Ultegra derailleur without one. Those are roadie derailleurs, a MTB derailleur should fit a much bigger cassette.

This is the redrilling idea - the further you move the hole the more B-screw tension you get.

post-5932-0-97798100-1563288558_thumb.jpg

What happens when you put it all together? maybe if you let us know what's not working we can fix it.

Edited by 100Tours