29er Slicks

Wolfie

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The replies have been most informative and I thank you all for your input, I'm still a bit puzzled about my mishap with the Conties though.

I bought the Kenda Flintridge 700x40C Tubeless Ready tyres and took the HT for a long road ride today. The rolling resistance is minimal and the bike feels good with those tyres.

I bought the Kenda Flintridge 700x40C Tubeless Ready tyres and took the HT for a long road ride today. The rolling resistance is minimal and the bike feels good with those tyres.

where did you buy them ??

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Bringing up an old thread.

So the body is getting a bit battered. And while I like the idea of (n+1) for a gravel, I just cant seem o make sense of it.

Hence the idea of using a mtn bike with slicks. You get suspension front and read which just adds the comfort of long gravel rides with bit of tar in between and you can easily  play on single trails.

But, can you just buy any set of rims to drop slicks onto ? Could you possibly get a narrower wheel to fit into the frame and say run a true "gravel tyre" but not a fully fledged mountain bike tyre.

Would be keen to hear what hubland think.

So the body is getting a bit battered. And while I like the idea of (n+1) for a gravel, I just cant seem o make sense of it.

Hence the idea of using a mtn bike with slicks. You get suspension front and read which just adds the comfort of long gravel rides with bit of tar in between and you can easily play on single trails.

But, can you just buy any set of rims to drop slicks onto ? Could you possibly get a narrower wheel to fit into the frame and say run a true "gravel tyre" but not a fully fledged mountain bike tyre.

I have two sets of wheels, one with slicks for the road and the other for offroad.

I have two sets of wheels, one with slicks for the road and the other for offroad.

would you take your slicks onto the back roads? I would imagine a full mtn bike tyre might be overkill ?

would you take your slicks onto the back roads? I would imagine a full mtn bike tyre might be overkill ?

my slicks is for tar only, all the rest is mtb tyres.

How about some semi-slicks? I bought a set (which I used twice - one training ride before the 94.7 and on the day) and on the training ride prior to the race I took them onto dirt roads to see if they'll hold up. 

And yes they felt a bit more jittery than what I was used to and yes I did not go over massive rocks but they held up nicely. I bought them for like R120 each or something like that

Hence the idea of using a mtn bike with slicks. You get suspension front and read which just adds the comfort of long gravel rides with bit of tar in between and you can easily  play on single trails.