Cannondale Slate

Simon Kolin

Hi guys

I'm seriously looking at selling all my existing bikes (2x mountain and 1x Road) and purchasing a Cannondale Slate as a do-all replacement.

Would the current/former Slate owners please let me know your thoughts on this bike. Is it as much fun as it appears to be? Is the Lefty Oliver worth the extra fuss?

If anything the bike will spend 90% of the time indoors on the trainer and then the occasional Spruit/Delta Dash ride. I'd probably get an extra set of wheels and use it for the odd road ride/race.

Thanks

Simon

post-20015-0-00414100-1565068964_thumb.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one and that fork is amazing. Rode the herald in PE on it and was marginally slower than my roadbike. I had the 1x version

I ended up selling it because I ride a lot of gravel and prefer my much lighter hardtail for this but it was a fun bike. The 650b wheels put me off but that was purely a mental thing.

An incredibly comfortable bike

I had one and that fork is amazing. Rode the herald in PE on it and was marginally slower than my roadbike. I had the 1x version

I ended up selling it because I ride a lot of gravel and prefer my much lighter hardtail for this but it was a fun bike. The 650b wheels put me off but that was purely a mental thing.

Yeah, it may be a mental thing but the 650b wheels made it feel a lot tougher than other gravel bikes I have ridden. The shock is great for commuting up and over gutters etc.

I was looking at one of these a while back,

Ended up not going for it because of the wheel size.

Why did the 650b wheels put you off? Did they feel too small or too slow?

My only concern about the 650b on the slate is the max tyre size that the frame allows for. 42mm is max and very few tyre manufacturers have suitable offerings (as far as I can tell).

I was looking at one of these a while back,

Ended up not going for it because of the wheel size.

Tell me more please. Why did the wheel size put you off?

Why did the 650b wheels put you off? Did they feel too small or too slow?

My only concern about the 650b on the slate is the max tyre size that the frame allows for. 42mm is max and very few tyre manufacturers have suitable offerings (as far as I can tell).

So this was just over a year ago and I found tyres difficult to come by - I had some panaracers which were great - the 650b felt slower but like I said this must just be a mental thing as my times were similar

So this was just over a year ago and I found tyres difficult to come by - I had some panaracers which were great - the 650b felt slower but like I said this must just be a mental thing as my times were similar

So if it felt slower, but times were similar.... you were thus more in control? 

Tell me more please. Why did the wheel size put you off?

As others have said,availability of tyres with 42c being max clearance

Just get a 26er scalpel and convert it to a 1x gravel bike with 700cx40c tyres and drop bars.... I have pimped a slate with 700x38c and it was fantastic

Hi guys

I'm seriously looking at selling all my existing bikes (2x mountain and 1x Road) and purchasing a Cannondale Slate as a do-all replacement.

Would the current/former Slate owners please let me know your thoughts on this bike. Is it as much fun as it appears to be? Is the Lefty Oliver worth the extra fuss?

If anything the bike will spend 90% of the time indoors on the trainer and then the occasional Spruit/Delta Dash ride. I'd probably get an extra set of wheels and use it for the odd road ride/race.

Thanks

Simon

And it will be used as an IDT 90% of the time?

Weird choice IMHO

And it will be used as an IDT 90% of the time?

Weird choice IMHO

Weird that I'll use it indoors so much or weird that I want a 650b do-all/gravel bike?

Weird that I'll use it indoors so much or weird that I want a 650b do-all/gravel bike?

Such a sweet bike and fork, I just hope it sees more of the real world than being stationery

Maybe I am just a bit jealous  :thumbup:

I love my 29'' on the trails.

And am just as happy with my 650B commuter.

For the same gears, the 650B is 5% slower, and has 5% better climbing .... just select the gears for your legs and hills and it is a non issue.

less options in our store of 650B tires .... enough for my commuter, but worth checking if you can get gravel tires locally ....

The bike feels "smaller and nimbler" ... actually fun !

As for the IDT ... consider keeping your road bike for this.....

I love my 29'' on the trails.

And am just as happy with my 650B commuter.

For the same gears, the 650B is 5% slower, and has 5% better climbing .... just select the gears for your legs and hills and it is a non issue.

less options in our store of 650B tires .... enough for my commuter, but worth checking if you can get gravel tires locally ....

The bike feels "smaller and nimbler" ... actually fun !

As for the IDT ... consider keeping your road bike for this.....

Why keep the road bike for the indoor trainer?