Emirates broke my bike!!! And then they p***ed me off!

Spirog

ok, travelling with your bike as luggage is hazardous to the bike and your own stress levels.

Is there a cost and time effective way of sending it as freight, assuming this gets treated better. Like the old Argus routine; drop off in advance then pick up at the airport?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

So, I recently had the incredible opportunity to ride London to Paris. That's a story for another day as it is just full of happiness.

However, on my return, when I unpacked my BMC from its Evoc bag, I saw that the airline, Emirates, had broken the rear right-hand seat stay. I've been around long enough to know that sh*t happens. I call my insurance company and put in a claim. That part of this tale is proceeding..

I contact Emirates. On making the phone call, I am told to fill in the online form. I duly do so. I get an email response from a "Do Not Reply" address, so find the online chat function.

The gist of our two conversations is in this line:

00:07:20 Tamara : Our team does get back to you within 30 days maximum after reviewing the case

Basically saying - ****you. We don't care that we destroyed your 80k bike. We're not interested in moving any faster than sloths. We will ignore you for a month and then hope that you go away.

My wife and I have done two return flights to Europe this year. The second one in business class. You'd think this would get someone to respond with a little more interest than a chat bot... apparently not.

I'm fortunate that I'm insured. I'm even more fortunate that I've got mates that are able to lend me a bike while this issue gets resolved. My complaint is not that my bike got damaged. I understand that this could happen to anyone. My frustration is with an airline that really doesn't give a damn.

So. If you're thinking of flying with your bike, check that it's insured for it's replacement value. Plus, DON'T FLY EMIRATES - you might "Fly Better", your bike certainly won't!!

I had a similar problem... Emirates make you sign a form that indemnifies them upon check in, in case they break your bike... I also stopped flying with them!