Emirates broke my bike!!! And then they p***ed me off!

Spirog

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck upsetting the transportation industry.......

Everyone is 'go vegan, recycle, be sustainable, industry bad BUT travel is goooood....' because jet streams and such don't impact our planet.

Look, I think in today's world, make sure your bases are covered, be selective as to what you travel with and how and don't expect anyone to take ownership of anything. 

It's a sad thing to say, but YOU will be happier after taking responsibility and stop expecting anything from others. Most especially large scale companies with very little personable interest for the individual.

How many people are unhappy with Windows 10?! Loads.... Do Microsoft actually care? No

ok ,so its your fault yr Garmin data got stolen?

seems legit

Translate that to Mac OS 10.7 (LION).... same same but different

yea that was pretty crap....it almost felt like windows 8.1 (and ME, Vista, originalXP) None of your expensive software really ever worked in it ^_^

In the end, we don't really have an option. The airlines all have similar rules,

I'm not entirely certain you are right here.

I flew Turkish to Geneva in July. I was shafted 90 Euro each way for my bike (I've always flown the sandpit airlines so never paid before) I had a little moan at the counter and the Check in guy said that Turkish was taking full responsibility for my bike and would pay out for a new one if it was destroyed hence the charge.

That's what he said. I have no way to corroborate this and thankfully never had to test it. It's also likely he said that just to shut me up.

Given the 180 Euro sting and my prior experience with other airlines I'd rather take the chance with a sandpit airline. Although we did get to ride on the first and last days which we would not have been able to do had we flown Qatar for example

Edited by Duane_Bosch

There is no way he could prove that the bike was not broken when he handed it over. 

For lack of trust in customers, thanks every **** who has inflated / invented a claim, lied for gain etc etc. 

The small print is there to naai us, simple and another tactic of suppliers to escape liability.

That's so 1970's. This is the 21st century, organisations that take our money have a duty of care and should not be allowed to fob off liability like that. They should have an agreement with their suppliers being ACSA or swissports or whoever that supplier is.

The OP is now out of pocket for the excess and having a claim raised against his account raises flags in the longer term. This through no fault of his own.

That in the 21st century, to my mind, is unacceptable.

And it seems to be a common occurrence. And we should just accept that.

Maybe as consumers we are way to passive in ZA

Once again, the car dealership normally inspects the car with you before you leave when you drop it off. There is no way for the airline to know if you are telling the truth 

He had a contracts with Emirates, part of the fee he paid was airport taxes to handle baggage etc. but the contract was still between him and Emirates.
Each airport have suppliers that do various things, Emirates contract with the airports in question should somewhere cover some liability.
I think it BS that we must just accept that the airline can do nothing about the baggage handlers. They should be able to put pressure on the airports to get their house in order.

If you took your car for a service and it got scratched and the dealership told you it was their washbay supplier, sorry can’t do anything, you’d throw the book at them.

ok ,so its your fault yr Garmin data got stolen?

seems legit

huh? I never mentioned who was at fault. All I said was to limit expectation so YOU can have a better time of it.

I also don't own a Garmin. They have stolen nothing from me.

Throw Garmin in there with all the other apps, socials and search engines then... None of your 'personal' information is private anymore.

But I'm not following that thread. I don't really record sportsing 

The small print is not there to naai us, it is there to protect them. Its a subtle but very important difference.

it's also there to protect us from our mates who would abuse the system if they had to pay out. Imagine the costs to fly if airlines had to pay out for everything that everyone said was broken / missing, without evidence. 

Translate that to Mac OS 10.7 (LION).... same same but different

You do know that Mac OS 13 launches soon???  :eek:

In the end, we don't really have an option. The airlines all have similar rules, so if you want to fly with your bike (or suitcase, laptop, child, etc) you have no choice but to accept that they make the (crappy) rules.

Perhaps, there's an opportunity for a disruption to change the industry?

Mute rules you refer to are made by IATA (international Air Transport Association).

How the rules are applied is determined by the airline.

In recent times most airlines are more haregat wrt sporting goods on their flights. It’s not personal, just symptomatic of the world we live in where people exploit every opportunity to get a better deal even if that deal isn’t fair. Only insurance is don’t travel with your bike or insurance

on the lighter note

I keep on misreading the thread title as :

Pirates broke my bike and then they p*****ed me off!!!!...  for some reason :whistling:

Edited by morneS555

The airlines make it very clear what they will pay out in the event of an issue with your luggage. We have to take out your own insurance, end of story. They only take responsibility for the actual piece of luggage (your suitcase).

What if I put a £1,000,000 piece of jewellery in my suitcase and it got stolen, should Emirates pay for it?

Edited by Andreas_187

on the lighter note

Pirates broke my bike and then they p*****ed me off!!!!... for some reason :whistling:

Now that’s a thread that I can get behind!

on the lighter note

Pirates broke my bike and then they p*****ed me off!!!!...  for some reason :whistling:

hahahaha AARRGGHH!

That there be gold!