10 to 11 speed.

Gustav1

Good day hubbers. Need some advice. Got a set of Easton ea 50 wheels. They are 10 speed currently but want to gooi 11 speed geoupset. Cluster doesnt fit. What can I do and what musnt I do.

Fanx

I take it's for road? I think the same principle will apply: 

If the cluster does not fit you'll need to replace the free wheel body to be able to fit. This may mean that you'll need to replace the hub as well which will then actually mean a wheel re-build. 

This can become quite an expensive exercise for one additional gear  :blink:.

My suggestion will be to use the opportunity to upgrade the wheelset and sell your EA50's to recover some of the costs  :thumbup:

There are a few other workarounds including some minor grinding of either the cassette or the freehub body. Or get a Campag cassette (they're dished so they sit deeper if I remember right). 

I don't think that you get an 11 speed free hub for that hub.  There is space to remove some material from the 10 speed one to fit an 11 speed cassette but be very careful how you do this.  Use a Dremel and not a lathe otherwise you can split the body into the two parts that make it up.

Try to find a suitable 11spd freehub to replace your 10spd.

If you can't get one for whatever reason and it is a shimano cassette you can do a hack and take it to an engineering shop skim the 10spd freehub by 1.8mm

There are a few other workarounds including some minor grinding of either the cassette or the freehub body. Or get a Campag cassette (they're dished so they sit deeper if I remember right). 

Pretty sure that a Campy cassette will not fit onto a Shimano freehub.

Fit a campagnolo freebody on the existing hub. Campag freebody will take 10/11 speed campag cassette. You can use the campag 11 speed cassette with 11 speed shimano groupset.

Good day hubbers. Need some advice. Got a set of Easton ea 50 wheels. They are 10 speed currently but want to gooi 11 speed geoupset. Cluster doesnt fit. What can I do and what musnt I do.

Fanx

The 10s and 11s cassettes are basically the same width, but the 11s cassette has an addittionl 1.xmm spacer essentially built on to the cassette body so it doesn't fit on the older free hubs.

For many hub sets you can buy a new 11s freebody.

Or when last I checked Northcliff cycles will machine the difference off of your 11s cassette for you. they have the milling machine you need.

Machining down the freehub itself will also address the problem if this is possible with the specific design of your hub. May create other issues if you have a shimano hub - basically the hub body starts to get in the way once you've ground the freehub back.

Edited by 100Tours

If you can't get one for whatever reason and it is a shimano cassette you can do a hack and take it to an engineering shop skim the 10spd freehub by 1.8mm

You have been warned!  Those free hubs are in two parts with the joint right where you are going to remove the material from.  Or should I post this in the "Stuff you learn(t) the hard way...thread?

You don't get 11 speed Easton free hubs for those wheels, only for the more upmarket hubs.

I think milling fown the cassette is ok though - this is the ultegra cassette - you're just milling down some of that alu carrier.

shimano-ultegra-cs-r8000-11-sebesseges-f

Edited by 100Tours

Any go-to guys in Cpt doing the freebody/cassette engineering.?

Edited by Thomo

I was in the same boat when I upgraded and had old wheels with older hubs.

I machines 1.7mm off the back of the cassette body allowing the cassette to seat closer to the spokes.

Fortunately I work in a machine shop so have access to a lathe.

Its better than messing a good hub and freebody up.

Downside is every new cassette you get you going to have to do the same thing too.

Thanx everybody for comments. Building up a Ritchey road logic with 105 11spd. Will get a new wheelset at a later stage, a Ritchey set of coarse, but lacking funds now. The Eastons I have I bought second hand and are still brand new, not even brake marks on brake surface. Thanx for the advise all.