Garmin Fenix 3 HR coating

hansolo

The coating covering the optical HR sensor on my Fenix 3 HR Sapphire is cracking and already gone in places. I sent it in to Garmin and got the following response:

"We continue to evaluate reports of cracked HR sensors on our watches. The cracks are cosmetic and watches we’ve tested continue to operate normally. Cracks do not affect the water rating. Since the cracks are on the back of the watch, not visible during use, and do not affect performance, replacement or repair is not necessary."

Any one else experience this problem?

I have a similar issue.  It's actually a well known issue and happened to a batch that was made.  Looks crap but it still functions.

When I first saw it, I thought I cracked the sensor on something.

I know it still works but I'm wondering what will happen if the coating is completely gone. 

Sad that they don't seem to think its a problem they need to address. 

I know it still works but I'm wondering what will happen if the coating is completely gone. 

Sad that they don't seem to think its a problem they need to address. 

If it goes and it leaks and you get water damage.... I would go back to Garmin and re-quote what they told you about being ok to still use and then ask for a replacement/upgrade as you continued to use it on Garmin's advice, which would have been incorrect if it becomes the case.

Thanks, sounds like my only real option anyway.

If it goes and it leaks and you get water damage.... I would go back to Garmin and re-quote what they told you about being ok to still use and then ask for a replacement/upgrade as you continued to use it on Garmin's advice, which would have been incorrect if it becomes the case.

to be fair its out of warranty (I would imagine) thus Garmin actually have no obligation to you.

Don't think the 3 is supported at all anymore.

Same one I had, Fenix 3 HR Sapphire.

A Fenix 6 would have been very nice but that's pushing my luck more than a little bit...

wow, brilliant outcome. 

which model did they give you?

Fantastic outcome. Garmin generally do the right thing in that regard.

i spose the real cost of producing a watch (lets say the Fenix 6) is in the R&D and not the actual product thus they have very favourable return policies as the actual product is cheap. (if that makes sense)