Upgraded from 27.5 to 29 and struggling with fit

Kamin Taute

2014 size medium scott frame is 599.7 mm top tube.

I think she is refering to the saddle to handle bar length which would be in the 530-540mm region

You're right. The 2014 Scott Spark 700 series (650b version) has a 599mm top tube, as confirmed by their geo sheet. So the measurements are the same. Maybe it's the saddle position that's different? 

the scott has a reach of 421mm while the merida has a reach of 429mm.

wheelbase its 112.5cm vs 111.8cm (7mm difference)

There's a massive difference in the stack which can also be contributing to the long feeling.

Thanks for all the input.

As you can see some confusion reins.

Merida from center of seat post to center of top cap in stem is 620.

Reach on Scott Spark 710 was 685 according to bike fit.

I know its not comparing the same measuremwents per bike.

OK so in future as a starting point I always measure saddle tip to centre of bars on old bike then compare to the new bikes. Moving the saddle forward is not an option as this will change your fit. So for me I would first get my saddle position sorted and then take measurements from there re the reach.

However just using the base measurements has never failed me before.

Top tube measurements, as mentioned before is of no real consequence, as is (Flame suit on for this) stand-over height. The only real base measurements, for me, is Centre to top of saddle and point of saddle to centre of bars. If these are in the ballpark things can be adjusted with stem length, bar width and sweep and seatpost offset.

On that note, saddle tip or 'power point' on saddle? Usually the widest point?

With today's saddles being so short and stubby, one would get hugely different results as opposed to measuring from where you actually sit.

Stand over height is massively important if you are short. If you have to lean the bike over to put your foot down that can be pretty dangerous and more importantly, uncomfortable.

As discussed, that won't inspire confidence which in turn, won't make you want to ride the bike.

Leave 'technically' aside, comfort is probably one of the biggest factors in bike riding for 80% of the people out there.

Hi Hubbers

I had a 2014 Scott Spark Dual Sus 710 27.5 Medium frame top tube 539 + 70 stem. I recently upgraded to a 2017 Merida Dual Sus 96.800 29er Medium frame which seems the incorrect frame size which I found post bike fit.

I am female 1.68m tall. Trying to find the ideal setup on a light weight alloy bike. The top tubes seem to be much longer than before and even with a shorter stem my optimal setup can not be achieved.

Thanks for your advice. I wanna ensure I get this right as it is becoming a costly activity.

I have the exact same Merida 96.800 medium. I am 1.82m tall and male. Fits me perfectly. Maybe you should go for a size small