Tjoobs

Slowbee

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys this is a great initiative to help a fellow commuter and i think i would just permanently drove with a spare tjoob and pump in my spare wheel compartment to help a guy out as ive seen many guys standing in a shady area. 

Hi guys this is a great initiative to help a fellow commuter and i think i would just permanently drove with a spare tjoob and pump in my spare wheel compartment to help a guy out as ive seen many guys standing in a shady area. 

Cheap tubes are more expensive in a cents-per-kilometer basis. There's a lot of movement between the tyre and tube at the tyre contact patch and this chafes tube rubber away. The cheaper the tube the quicker it wears and thins out resulting in high puncture rates. Good quality tubes  (Conti is probably the best in the local market) are made from butyl rubber which is more elastic and more durable so movement in the tyre minimal and the tubes last for ages.

Cheap tubes are more expensive in a cents-per-kilometer basis. There's a lot of movement between the tyre and tube at the tyre contact patch and this chafes tube rubber away. The cheaper the tube the quicker it wears and thins out resulting in high puncture rates. Good quality tubes  (Conti is probably the best in the local market) are made from butyl rubber which is more elastic and more durable so movement in the tyre minimal and the tubes last for ages.

Does this mean you are going to be donating 50 conti tubes to the cause ?

Baby powder can help with the chafing :)

Or maybe not... https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/talcum.html

Edited by Jacquers

DJR

Thank you for the tubes! And the little extra gift. Nice little pouch for the passport.

Sorry that I missed you at the practice - but then maybe that was a good thing as you had your bike and I might have had to ride with you. That photo you posted on the thread is awesome!

DJR

Thank you for the tubes! And the little extra gift. Nice little pouch for the passport.

Sorry that I missed you at the practice - but then maybe that was a good thing as you had your bike and I might have had to ride with you. That photo you posted on the thread is awesome!

My pleasure. B.t.w. the pouch can also multi-task for a road bike tube and a multi tool and slips nicely into a cycling shirt pocket.

• 3 months later...

post-2696-0-26869600-1579159214_thumb.jpg

This guy was very grateful for his tube. He was as happy as larry, and in this heat was battling his butt off to get the tube to seal with his puncture repair kit. His camel pack contained a shifting spanner, two puncture repair kits one hand pump and various "adapters" to make said pump work.

There are more patches than tube. And if you look closely you will see 26er slicks (which have 23c plastic inserts to help stop punctures) on normal road wheel rims that have had the valve opening broken open to fit the valve.

Also note the handle bar tape and brake system. While there may be the appearance of gears, this is a single speed system. Ghetto ghost bike of NOTE!

For those that know the area, this was on Sir Lowry Rd at the hospital, at about 08H45 this morning. These Working on Fire guys have to get to the Lourensford fire base by 09H00 to start their shift (and get paid). He was very happy so as not to get to work too late!

attachicon.gif1.jpg

This guy was very grateful for his tube. He was as happy as larry, and in this heat was battling his but off to get the tube to seal with his puncture repair kit. His camel pack contained a shifting spanner, two puncture repair kits one hand pump and various "adapters" to make said pump work.

There are more patches than tube. And if you look closely you will see 26er slicks (which have 23c plastic inserts to help stop punctures) on normal road wheel rims that have had the valve opening broken open to fit the valve.

Also note the handle bar tape and brake system. While there may be the appearance of gears, this is a single speed system. Ghetto ghost bike of NOTE!

For those that know the area, this was on Sir Lowry Rd at the hospital, at about 08H45 this morning. These Working on Fire guys have to get to the Lourensford fire base by 09H00 to start their shift (and get paid). He was very happy so as not to get to work too late!

Good work ..... BTW I have some tubes that I still use with more patches on it than that :P

Edit:

• And I also ride with spanners 
  • That hosepipe grips look lekker ...
  • Those brakes look scary
Edited by Hairy

Good work ..... BTW I have some tubes that I still use with more patches on it than that :P

Edit:

Riding with a spanner and being a spanner are two very different things.

PS: but do you have rusty flats ?

Edit:

A friend told me of a tube he kept on patching... it ended up with 28 patches!

A friend told me of a tube he kept on patching... it ended up with 28 patches!

When Scotty and NSBB see this those numbers will be small.