2020 SA Road Champs

Pickled

So why not keep it a NATIONAL champ........one champ......#1 n SA......well......one lady and one gent.

And keep it at that.  The age cats never made sense to me.

So hold a championship in a place where we can go support.  Pta, Jhb, Durban, Ct.

And have two races.  One race ladies early morning and one race gentleman after the ladies.

TT can be on the Saturday.

That would cut down a LOT of cost and still net the same result................find the best rider in SA to wear the jersey. 

Just a thought.............

You'll hear no arguments from me

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea I know, traveling from Pretoria sure would have felt like traveling from the other side of the country to get to Hoedspruit.

SABC was never mentioned, not even sure they knew they were going to be there.

The budget thing... they had R1.3M surplus on the last public statement, there's that.

That's the thing, everyone wants coverage and live feeds and photos and what not, but no one is willing to pay for it.

If you want free, you get free... but then everyone should stop complaining about the lack of coverage.

Sometimes, when the event organizers are full of budget stories, I work directly with the the pro teams, much easier and they get dedicated coverage.  :thumbup:

From my understanding they definitely don't have a surplus of money right now...

I was just saying, you can't get upset when the numbers don't add up - and you pretty much pointed this out yourself.

As Ride Magazine we sent a professional photographer to road races around the country for decades - all on our own cost. We loved seeing those pics, having the inside scoop on the action, but the return on investment for ourselves as a business was negligible...

From my understanding they definitely don't have a surplus of money right now...

I was just saying, you can't get upset when the numbers don't add up - and you pretty much pointed this out yourself.

As Ride Magazine we sent a professional photographer to road races around the country for decades - all on our own cost. We loved seeing those pics, having the inside scoop on the action, but the return on investment for ourselves as a business was negligible...

Not upset, voicing some irritations! ????

I cover a lot of events throughout the year, so feel free to hit me up if you need shots.

But I have offered this to Ride and many other publications before, either my shots are too crap or business is too good for them to realize the opportunity in me already being at the events, not having to send their own photographer around the country.

Anyhow...

There's very little understanding of media and marketing coverage in general. Even from so called professionals. Media coverage is an investment, not an expense.

​Without it any blue ribbon type event is dead in the water. The easier a federation and/or organizer makes it for media, the better the coverage.
​Engagement and communication go a long way.
​The better the coverage, the less the financial strain, as (prospective) sponsors and partners will see the value and return.

The basics are not that hard. But I get the feeling that there is no real strategy towards media/marketing/comms and it is seen as an afterthought and inconvenience.

Rather than an asset. And it shows in the level of public engagement and press releases over the years.