Garmin Fenix 5 and Tacx Flow calibration

Jbr

Hey everyone,

I got tired of paying Zwift to really only follow their workouts on my phone (on companion) and not even looking at the game, so I figured I'd just download workouts on my watch and follow them rather. 

Now the issue is when I try to calibrate it tells me to unclip, but it doesn't tell me to pedal or how hard, then calibration always fails (error : -1) whatever I do. I'm very surprised to find absolutely no information about this matter online, looks like nobody ever tried to calibrate a trainer as a power meter on a garmin watch. 

Anyone here as done it ?

I don't know about the Flow specifically but indoor trainers usually do a "spin down" calibration so pedal until you are up to your usual training speed then unclip and hit calibrate while the trainer is still spinning. That should solve your issue.

You going/trying to use your Fenix to control the trainer?

Tacx software/app will likely have the necessary to calibrate your flow.

I have the Kickr Core.  I use the whaoo utility app to calibrate the trainer and is pretty much as Jehosefat describes.

A quick google gives me https://blog.tacx.com/how-to-calibrate-your-tacx-trainer/ seems pretty straight forward using the Tacx Utility app

Edit: so surprised you could not find anything online as there are hundreds of hits with regard to calibrating a Tacx Flow

Edited by shaper

I don't know about the Flow specifically but indoor trainers usually do a "spin down" calibration so pedal until you are up to your usual training speed then unclip and hit calibrate while the trainer is still spinning. That should solve your issue.

unclip = stop pedaling ? I thought that unclip thing was to measure the actual watts I push while pedaling without pulling thanks to the cleats

EDIT : mmh I've tried pedaling to my pace and uncleating/stop peddaling THEN start calibration or doing it all during the calibration still getting the same error...

Edited by Jbr

You going/trying to use your Fenix to control the trainer?

Tacx software/app will likely have the necessary to calibrate your flow.

I have the Kickr Core.  I use the whaoo utility app to calibrate the trainer and is pretty much as Jehosefat describes.

A quick google gives me https://blog.tacx.com/how-to-calibrate-your-tacx-trainer/ seems pretty straight forward using the Tacx Utility app

Edit: so surprised you could not find anything online as there are hundreds of hits with regard to calibrating a Tacx Flow

I don't want to control the trainer, it's actually something that I find boring on Zwift, I want the same resistance throughout my ride and I just push the watts I feel like when I feel like)

On the tacx app calibration consists of reaching 30kph then stop pedalling until it stops, but it only tells you to apply more or less pressure on the tyre (which is ok) but I'm trying to calibrate it with my watch.

Edited by Jbr

I don't want to control the trainer, it's actually something that I find boring on Zwift, I want the same resistance throughout my ride and I just push the watts I feel like when I feel like)

On the tacx app calibration consists of reaching 30kph then stop pedalling until it stops, but it only tells you to apply more or less pressure on the tyre (which is ok) but I'm trying to calibrate it with my watch.

So you are making a problem from nothing.and a solution not available.  

You use the Tacx app to calibrate the trainer.  You use your fenix to record and nothing more.

Fenix is not designed to calibrate a trainer.  It is there to record power meter readings from a trainer or power meter and act as a head unit.

If you want accurate readings, use the manufacturers app to calibrate the trainer as described, with a spin up to 30km/hr then freewheel until it stops.  The app will then calibrate the trainer.  It will also recommend how often you do this calibration.

And then you can merrily do your easy effort spins and record it with your fenix

Edited by shaper

So you are making a problem from nothing.and a solution not available.  

You use the Tacx app to calibrate the trainer.  You use your fenix to record and nothing more.

Fenix is not designed to calibrate a trainer.  It is there to record power meter readings from a trainer or power meter and act as a head unit.

If you want accurate readings, use the manufacturers app to calibrate the trainer as described, with a spin up to 30km/hr then freewheel until it stops.  The app will then calibrate the trainer.  It will also recommend how often you do this calibration.

And then you can merrily do your easy effort spins and record it with your fenix

So I must use the app to calibrate the trainer before every ride and not worry about the watch's prompt to calibrate... mmh okay

I thought each device needed to be calibrated  :w00t:

Edited by Jbr

So I must use the app to calibrate the trainer before every ride and not worry about the watch's prompt to calibrate... mmh okay

Correct use the app.

The calibration on the watch is more for a pedal/crank based power meter when riding outdoors as is affected by temp/humidity as in zero offset.  You can actually switch that prompt off.

Most people calibrate the trainer probably once a month

Edited by shaper