Saddle Theory?

saklx650c

my 2c

Fit is important, but there are a number of practical things no one will tell you. for example, I also fell for the saddle with the cutout. It looked cool and the brand was a high quality item. Unfortunately I rode in a area with frequent high rates of rainfall and all the mud from the rear wheel seemed to target this little cutout in the saddle. It damaged my cycling kit and the saddle. So, you are the one who has to decide how and where you're going to ride and if the mud will be a problem or not. And while I talking about the wet weather. Leather adjusts well when wet and any pressure points can be avoided in this way. Brooks is just one of those very well known brands that offer a top quality leather saddle that will serve you many years. Maybe it will be to your own best interest to try a simple brooks saddle and reap the rewards.

SQ Lab has a unique take on saddles. Zero pressure on the perineum, only the sit bones in contact with the saddle. I highly recommend giving them a look via the SA distributor GPM Sports

Thanks, will do.

my 2c

Fit is important, but there are a number of practical things no one will tell you. for example, I also fell for the saddle with the cutout. It looked cool and the brand was a high quality item. Unfortunately I rode in a area with frequent high rates of rainfall and all the mud from the rear wheel seemed to target this little cutout in the saddle. It damaged my cycling kit and the saddle. So, you are the one who has to decide how and where you're going to ride and if the mud will be a problem or not. And while I talking about the wet weather. Leather adjusts well when wet and any pressure points can be avoided in this way. Brooks is just one of those very well known brands that offer a top quality leather saddle that will serve you many years. Maybe it will be to your own best interest to try a simple brooks saddle and reap the rewards.

Practical advice - noted. Thanks

Thanks for that link. It has made things a bit clearer even if i don't buy SMP. 

Yeah not trying to steer you to SMP but it was the best article I had that spoke to what is actually going on when you're sitting on the saddle. It also unpacks a few myths wrt to correct saddle fit and thats backed up on theSMP website.

SQlabs has a slightly different take on what area the saddle should support but are trying to solve the same problem in a different but effective way.

I would suggest that you do look at both SQLabs and SMP as I don't feel the other saddle manufacturers offer any real solutions to address saddle ergonomics quite as effectively.

Unfortunately I rode in a area with frequent high rates of rainfall and all the mud from the rear wheel seemed to target this little cutout in the saddle. It damaged my cycling kit and the saddle. 

Not to mention the wild looks and pinched noses you get post race in the beertent for your briekmerk 

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my fair share of cycling related prostate issues. I've probably spent more on saddles than on bikes, including ISM, Rido, Specialized, Cobb, etc.

None work 100% for me and my riding is now limited as a result, but the Cobb Randee with a cutout has been the best so far. It's been trial and error.

However I know that Ergofit now also offer a Saddle pressure mapping service, which results in some recommendations including the optimal saddle width, something I plan to do in the future.

They would probably be your best bet for a proper explanation. 

I'm unconvinced that your road and MTB saddles should or would be much different; I use the same saddle on both.

FWIW...

One other thing, do not give up on a saddle after 1 ride. I give a saddle 2 weeks. Your butt (or Sadle? ) do slightly adjust. Personally I do not come right with a saddle with a cutout. I ride a standard Fizik arione on my mtb and roadbike. They just work for me. But I know of hundreds of people how hate them.

Try as much saddles a possible.

And a R7000 assos is worth nothing on the wrong saddle.

Edited by Breezer