Renault Duster

Duane_Bosch

I know you specifically asked for feedback on the diesel Duster but have you had a look at the Mitsubishi ASX?

They're very well priced for what you get, especially if you're willing to buy secondhand in JHB, significant savings to buying in CT.

I looked at a Duster in 2016 when I went car shopping, and the thing that put me off most was the underwhelming power - I wasn't looking for a sports car, but it felt like nothing happened when you stepped on the gas.

Also looked at the ASX, really enjoyed that and probably would have settled on that had I decided on a small SUV.

Money not an issue, the Tiguan would be my number 1 choice in SUV.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

I looked at a Duster in 2016 when I went car shopping, and the thing that put me off most was the underwhelming power - I wasn't looking for a sports car, but it felt like nothing happened when you stepped on the gas.

Also looked at the ASX, really enjoyed that and probably would have settled on that had I decided on a small SUV.

Money not an issue, the Tiguan would be my number 1 choice in SUV.

Petrol or diesel?

I've heard the petrol ones are about as powerful as wet sponge, but the diesel is lively to me

Petrol or diesel?

I've heard the petrol ones are about as powerful as wet sponge, but the diesel is lively to me

Test drove both - both felt pretty underwhelming to me. The petrol more so than the diesel.

Coming up to 45000km on our Duster. That 1.5 diesel is VERY economical (not the 4X4). Ours was originally bought for the wife and we did a swop last year when my old Kia Sportage needed replacing. I slapped a tow bar on for the bike rack and Its been reliable on the short and long runs. Things I don't like is the rear visibility, it does have a camera in the infotainment screen and parking sensors but I've still managed to scare a few pedestrians at the local supermarket parking area when reversing. Ive been told by the local dealer that this was one of the customer feedback issues they have addressed in the latest Duster. I would nevertheless buy another one.

My wife has a 2019 Tiguan 2.0 and you cant really compare it to the Duster.

I got the new Duster a week ago and love the car.My previous one was a 2015 model and fortunately Dacia has made many improvements since then.

Current Duster is the 1.5 dCi in Prestige spec.

The biggest difference is the sound deadening and quality inside the car.You have proper carpets in the rear and not the thin material stuff.I would say the interior is on par with the Suzuki Vitara,Mazda 5 and Jeep Renegade.

I tested many cars before the Duster and after driving the new model i realised that nothing comes close at the price.Interior is a lot of plastic but better than some of the completion.It's quiet inside with no rattles.

Power wise i cruise comfortably on the motorway with 4 adults in the car at 140km/h and it handles hills ok.It rolls a bit in the corners but not worse than any of the others.

Nice for parking on pavements as it's pretty high and you'll get 2 mountain bikes in the rear with the seats down.

I was forced to drive a "road" that required 4x4 and my Duster (2015 diesel) did really well. It has good ground clearance but the 1st gear could have been slower. In my experience it will get you further up the hill than a 4x2 bakke with a diff lock.

Only downside to date was that it took Renault 5 weeks to source a part from France. They probably used skynet to ship it...

My wife has a 2019 Tiguan 2.0 and you cant really compare it to the Duster.

I got the new Duster a week ago and love the car.My previous one was a 2015 model and fortunately Dacia has made many improvements since then.

Current Duster is the 1.5 dCi in Prestige spec.

The biggest difference is the sound deadening and quality inside the car.You have proper carpets in the rear and not the thin material stuff.I would say the interior is on par with the Suzuki Vitara,Mazda 5 and Jeep Renegade.

I tested many cars before the Duster and after driving the new model i realised that nothing comes close at the price.Interior is a lot of plastic but better than some of the completion.It's quiet inside with no rattles.

Power wise i cruise comfortably on the motorway with 4 adults in the car at 140km/h and it handles hills ok.It rolls a bit in the corners but not worse than any of the others.

Nice for parking on pavements as it's pretty high and you'll get 2 mountain bikes in the rear with the seats down.

Be sure you stay in the slow lane when you cross the border to Germany ...  :P  :ph34r: