When to replace Shimano chain on road bike?

Mielies

Hey Everyone <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I am looking for some advise. I have a bike which is about 10 months old with a Shimano Sora group set on it. I have done about 4000 km on it and have never replaced the chain.

So I bought a chain wear tool and now know that my chain is  about 0.75% worn, but not 1.0 % yet....

At what wear should a shimano 8-speed chain be replaced. Should I replace my cassette when I replace my chain or can I get away with only replacing the chain?

What chain-tool do you guys recommend?

Thanks

You should get about 20-25 000 km on a chain, with proper washing and lubing... when you eventually replace it, you will need to replace the cassette as well... probably...

Throw away the wear indicator and get yourself a inch ruler. But 4000km is not time to replace it.

20080624_023657_chainwear.jpg

Phew - 20 - 25 000 km? I think it should be around 4 000 km on chains like Dura Ace and Ultegra.

Mielies, think that the measure is if the chain is 60% worn then its time to change it. If you leave it too long then your cassette will wear unnecessarily.

Mampara is correct here. That is the best way to test!!!

It isn't necessarily distance as it depends how you ride as well. If you spin your chain might last a little longer than if you grind the big gears.

Otherwise just take your bike to your trusted LBS and ask them!! I change my chain on average every 6 months and then i don't have to change the cassette...that can get expensive!!!!

Builders wharehouse have a steel ruler with inches and centimeters. Costs R40 (i think), but look on the special table, they sometimes go for R10! Big%20smile

Guess who bought one to measure chain length with ? Not me ... the DoF, she WAS paying attention when I was going on about inches and chain lengths and things