Suggestions for cycling in Los Angeles area

BigDL

Doesn't Kyle B Kelly live in LA?

Golden Saddle cyclery.... umm.... Loads of LA gravel rides with that lot up on TheRadavist etc.

Looks like they run a few weekly group rides too. Might be worth contacting them or checking it out?

I went for a run along there... I think It's super overhyped.... But still nice to experience though I guess

Ironically I love the place when quiet.  I was there in very early spring, grabbed one of the bikes from the hotel and explored the area.  Very few people around.

Travelling to LA area for work in April and, as usual, am hoping to take two or three days extra to explore and ride my bike. However, with zero direct knowledge of Southern California and with so much to choose from, I would really appreciate any suggestions based on experience. 

At this stage, I have identified a road bike event through Joshua Tree National park which looks pretty cool and fits date wise. There is also a road bike event through Griffith Park in LA, which looks pretty good as well. I have searched strava and various websites and there are a huge number of amazing looking routes to ride. My natural inclination is always to get out of urban areas as quickly as possible, but I was wondering what it would be like to cycle the coast and see all of the beaches I have only seen on tv, or ride up through Holywood, although I have no interest in movie stars and stuff. 

Anyway, up the left with thoughts at the moment. Any suggestions appreciated. 

I lived in LA for awhile and the riding is really great once you get up into the mountains. A coastal ride is definitely worth doing. Ride the beach path from Venice north until it ends and then get on Highway 1 that goes out towards Malibu. Take the road heading up Latigo Canyon. It's steep and windy and a great route. You could keep going out to Malibu on Highway 1 but it gets dodgy in parts but on weekends it's ok.

Ironically I love the place when quiet. I was there in very early spring, grabbed one of the bikes from the hotel and explored the area. Very few people around.

Was quiet when I was there in Autumn. Look.... It's great for a 16 to 20km out and back ride/run along the beach if you go from the marina to sunset boulevard... There's not that many promenades the long in the world

aa02abaeb3c56c8e9cf21d45d276f3a7.jpg

I lived in LA for awhile and the riding is really great once you get up into the mountains. A coastal ride is definitely worth doing. Ride the beach path from Venice north until it ends and then get on Highway 1 that goes out towards Malibu. Take the road heading up Latigo Canyon. It's steep and windy and a great route. You could keep going out to Malibu on Highway 1 but it gets dodgy in parts but on weekends it's ok.

We went for a drive out to Malibu to that biker bar... I'm not sure I would feel comfortable on my bicycle on that section of road... The friend I was staying with reckons that everyone calls the people that cycle along there organ donors