Sram level brakes

Shooter mc gaven

Nothing wrong with SRAM brakes. Just bleed them properly once a year, DOT fluid absorbs water which can cause issues with the internals.

Just added a critical note :P

Yeah, Sram breaks, you fix it. Shimano breaks, you replace it. 

Not really........ I used to "do" the Juicys and Elixirs and still have the odd kit lying around.  XX brakes are no longer supported locally and the new Guides need a specific tool for the lever that is "not in stock". You get a plastic one with the kit for about R1000.  When I phoned the shops around to borrow one no one had and all now don't bother to service - just courier them to the agent.  Kit+labour+courier - The replacement option may not be so bad after all.

Not really........ I used to "do" the Juicys and Elixirs and still have the odd kit lying around.  XX brakes are no longer supported locally and the new Guides need a specific tool for the lever that is "not in stock". You get a plastic one with the kit for about R1000.  When I phoned the shops around to borrow one no one had and all now don't bother to service - just courier them to the agent.  Kit+labour+courier - The replacement option may not be so bad after all.

Luckily I have an LBS that does have the necessary tools to work on the Guide R's I have, so no issue there for me.

Thing is, you get replacement levers, etc for the Sram, so should you damage it in a fall, it can be put right at a minimal cost.

Break a Shimano lever, and you have to replace the whole unit, if not the set. 

• 9 months later...

Sram brakes squeaking with a low intermittent whinnying noise. What can I do pads are still fine. On hard breaking no sound on soft braking hard sounds