GPS for uploading to Strava without phone

peepeekaitjie

Maybe it isn't such a long story but I spend enough time staring at a screen at work. 10 hours a day.

When I get I leave work it is over for the day yet I kept getting pointless calls and forced to be in work Whatsapp Groups that are relentless in their banal banter. I just wanted to claim what little time I have for myself back.

Lots of European research regarding burn-out linked to over use of phones.  People simply dont switch off from work .....

I switch OFF notifications on most WhatsApp groups ....

I switched OFF the auto download of emails.  I can still check for emails out of the office, but I dont get that one liners on the screen 10 minutes before going to bed ....

After 17:00 I am very selective in answering the phone ....  I change my voicemail when I am on leave.

I have an old phone with a pre-paid number that I take with me on rides.  Only 2 or 3 people have this number.  :w00t:   :thumbup:   

OFF TOPIC -

How do you manage "the rest of your life" without a cell phone ?

As much as I might want to get rid of my cell phone it is now totally ingrained into my day-to-day living ....

Banking

my GPS while driving in the car

alarm clock

meeting calandar

fitness tracker

Eskom loadshedding tracker ...  :thumbdown:

primary way of keeping track of the school's events calandar

Various apps that helps in my day job

Uber 

The bulk of my phone use is linked to work, but for better or worse these infernal electronic devices have become a part of our daily lives ....

It hasn't been that difficult and I do not miss it at all.

To answer most your questions.

I can do banking from my laptop.

I don't own a car and cycle everywhere. If I am heading somewhere unknown I plot a route beforehand and memorise it or scribble down basic directions.

I don't have kids.

I have a work phone but it is strictly work, it lives on my desk.

I just want to reclaim the small part of the day that belongs to me back.

I grew up before cellphones and got along just fine. I am sure I can again. It has not affected my work or personal life at all. If anything it has improved both. I find myself with a lot more free time in both. Where normally I would be 'catching up' on social media or with friends I find myself doing more constructive activities where I am actually 100% present. 

Edited by C.Chinaski

Many years ago when I was in IT support I’d get calls at odd hours. I quickly learnt to put the phone on silent after 6pm.

Then iPhone came out with do not disturb, now my phone automatically goes to DND mode at 6pm and only family can call.

That takes care of the work crap, but I still spend far to much time staring at my screen.

I have learnt that all social media apps do not go onto my phone. I use WhatsApp web when I'm at the office and whenever I'm at home I don't even bother answering the phone unless it's actually someone I know or something I deem worth while. 

I had a pay-as-you go phone for riding but I used it so little that the sim eventually expired and Vodacom took the value that was on their for themselves (less than R20 if memory serves). 

Social media apps are the biggest drain on anyone's time.

A phone in my opinion is not something that should rule your life but it is a necessity in today's climate. It's a tool that will save your life if and when needed.