Bicycle proof of purchase when bought 2nd hand - emmigration

Renier82

HI clever people,

I have a couple of bicycles built up over the years, and i am in the process of moving abroad.

I am planning on taking 4 or 5 bikes with me, as well as my tools and spares.

However i will have to prove that the items are indeed mine and not stolen. 

I bought all of my stuff second hand (no receipts) ... how do i prove to Immigration(customs) that i am not a thief?

my bank statements are not very descriptive regarding my purchases, mainly the name of people and the amount.

i am unsure how to tackle this problem?

any suggestions?

HI clever people,

I have a couple of bicycles built up over the years, and i am in the process of moving abroad.

I am planning on taking 4 or 5 bikes with me, as well as my tools and spares.

However i will have to prove that the items are indeed mine and not stolen. 

I bought all of my stuff second hand (no receipts) ... how do i prove to Immigration(customs) that i am not a thief?

my bank statements are not very descriptive regarding my purchases, mainly the name of people and the amount.

i am unsure how to tackle this problem?

any suggestions?

Which customs office is this?  The country of destination?  We have not had to do that.  We loaded three bikes in the container.  Only issue we will have is if the bikes get stolen here then we will not get much from insurances as we do not have a receipt for it to state the replacement value.

ah thanks for that, I am planning on going to Paraguay solo, so it might be hard to justify "all the bikes and stuff" 

It will be tax exempt since i will be moving there. I am scared to say i will be running a small bike repair shop with stuff i am bringing into the country, so i suspect i will have to sound like a serious bike collector :P

other option is to take a bike with me each time i travel there, but i suspect i will still have a hard time taking my spares over. will be ideal if i could take the bikes and spares over oneshot since i will be paying premium.

shipping company:

"HI Renier,

Do you have proof of purchase invoices for the bikes?"

post-13470-0-72093000-1584977883_thumb.jpg

I'm with Bateleur1 - sent 4 bikes in a container to Canada, and another 2 as part of sports equipment (also previously declared as part of a list of 'goods to follow'). No questions asked by customs, and I had to go in myself and sign some paperwork.

Sorry won't be able to give any advice on this.  We have not had the problem.  We moved with a container though.  Only my roadbike flew with us with our normal luggage

lekker that sounds positive!!

thanks guys!

I will see if i can speak to someone at customs when i am in Paraguay after the corona nonsense.

then just clarify.

Maybe that classification is for bicycles with a motor attached (moped, scooter etc).

I see on other country vehicle classification they also refer to them as bicycle (motorised), so perhaps this one is cut off on the *(bicycle...)

my bikes aren't worth selling over here (no value) but have a much higher value to me , and could potentially sell some of them over there if i need cash. 

BTW i am also moving with a container or "moving cube" depending on the amount of space i need

Edited by Renier82