Kids Trailers

T_Boss

My Daughter is now 16 months old, and I really want to get her a trailer for her 2nd Birthday, so that I can comfortably and safely take her around town and on mild dirt roads etc behind the bike.

I have limited experience (actually no experience) with trailers.

Also not really sure of any shops that actually have physical units in stock to take a look at.

From looking online, the one thing I notice is that the prices vary significantly, ranging anywhere from R2500.00 to R18k+

The Thule units look amazing, but obviously, as with all things Thule, they are right at the top of the price spectrum.

I loved the Singletrailer that Danny Mac used on his Danny Daycare video, until I looked them up and saw they sell for 1650Euro, before shipping and taxes.......

So would appreciate some inputs from guys with first hand experience.

1. What brand have you got, and would you recommend it.

2. What type of mounting is best? I see it’s either seatpost mounted or rear axle mounted.

a. Will seatpost mounts be compatible with a dropper post ?

b. Do the rear axle mounts work on through axle setups? Most of the videos I have seen used quick realease skewers.

3. Not planning any more kids, but would you recommend a 2 seater? Could be useful for friends, or to load up some groceries.

Looking forward to feedback

I wanted one these but it wasn't practical for me. 

First transporting this to wherever would be a mission and then I did get to test one out they didn't enjoy it all. 

There is a cycle shop in Franschoek that rents out bikes.  Opposit side of the road to the fuel station ..

They also have a Buggy they rent out.  I think it is the Thule unit.

for the type of money it may be worth the drive and testing it first ....

EDIT - checked on Google maps .... the shops name is "Franschoek cycles" ..... duh ...  :whistling:  :ph34r:

Edited by ChrisF

There is a cycle shop in Franschoek that rents out bikes.  Opposit side of the road to the fuel station ..

They also have a Buggy they rent out.  I think it is the Thule unit.

for the type of money it may be worth the drive and testing it first ....

EDIT - checked on Google maps .... the shops name is "Franschoek cycles" ..... duh ...  :whistling:  :ph34r:

I rented a unit in Sea Point... it's a proper work out!!