SRAM NX gears dropping on its own.

NeverNotRolling

You will find that you need to do the odd "one-click" once a month ... it is just part of riding SRAM ...

But you soon get used to it.  And it really is easy, once you get the feel for it.

A bent hanger often results in smooth shifting in SOME gears, but 2 or 3 being scratchy ... and as you adjust the barrel, the scratchy bit moves up or down a few gears.  Trust me, you will KNOW what I am describing when you ever experience it.

The good news, the bike shop can straighten small issues out.

just one more thing to check .... is the through axle TIGHT ?

If the axle is slightly loose it also causes issues with gear selection ....

Learnt this lesson the hard way ...

I found this out on my last ride at Conties before lock down. I also have NX Eagle. All of a sudden I was dropping gears, and grinding the chain like mad going up the quarry climb. Just before the second line of trees the chain finally jumped between the granny and the spokes. After a struggle to get it out, I noticed the axle was loose. I tightened the axle, and voila, problem went away. Such a simple fix. So simple to overlook.

Moral of the story? Make sure everything is properly set before setting off to ride.

I found this out on my last ride at Conties before lock down. I also have NX Eagle. All of a sudden I was dropping gears, and grinding the chain like mad going up the quarry climb. Just before the second line of trees the chain finally jumped between the granny and the spokes. After a struggle to get it out, I noticed the axle was loose. I tightened the axle, and voila, problem went away. Such a simple fix. So simple to overlook.

Moral of the story? Make sure everything is properly set before setting off to ride.

Mark serviced my bike in August.  I buy my tire sealant from him, and he knew I would top it up AFTER the service - we talked about this.

He probably thought I would take out the wheel to do this, and did not tighten the through axle fully.  I hang the bike on the workshop stand and have all the bits at the ready to top up the sealant with the bike in the air .... and so I also did not check the axle.

It was tight enough that it took a few kilometers to work loose ever so slightly ...... and the gears started messing about.  Now bear in mind, I asked Mark to replace the inner and outer cables ... so I knew adjusting the barrel would be needed at some point, though not so early ....  Imagine my confusion as things just got worse and worse over the next 2 kilometers ......

Back at home I mounted the bike in the workshop stand and removed the wheel, to check everything .... THIS is when I realised the through axle was loose by maybe 1/4 turn .... tightened it, took a spin in the road and the bike was 100% !!

school fees ...  :whistling:  :ph34r:

Mark serviced my bike in August.  I buy my tire sealant from him, and he knew I would top it up AFTER the service - we talked about this.

He probably thought I would take out the wheel to do this, and did not tighten the through axle fully.  I hang the bike on the workshop stand and have all the bits at the ready to top up the sealant with the bike in the air .... and so I also did not check the axle.

It was tight enough that it took a few kilometers to work loose ever so slightly ...... and the gears started messing about.  Now bear in mind, I asked Mark to replace the inner and outer cables ... so I knew adjusting the barrel would be needed at some point, though not so early ....  Imagine my confusion as things just got worse and worse over the next 2 kilometers ......

Back at home I mounted the bike in the workshop stand and removed the wheel, to check everything .... THIS is when I realised the through axle was loose by maybe 1/4 turn .... tightened it, took a spin in the road and the bike was 100% !!

school fees ...  :whistling:  :ph34r:

My story just about echoes yours. I also had my rear derailleur cable replaced, and was also informed I need to top up my sealant, and I also declined since I had sealant at home and did not see the need to blow through R200 ront because I was lazy. I also top up sealant on-bike, and thus also did not pick up on the clicking originating from the loose axle.

I did the CTCT on that bike since my HT blew up the week prior, and it was clicking every so often the whole way...By the time I figured out the axle was loose, it was loose by about 5 - 6 full rotations...and I was heading up Contermans to blow down the ST including the new enduro line. If that wheel had come undone...I don't even want to think about it.

School fees. Ja...