Picking up accents from other countries

Rocket-Boy

The traditional South African accent annoys me the more I live here.

Can't stand hearing saffas in the malls and stuff screaming "Jannie - go can like to fetch mamma another pack of beers" in the store.

Oh jeez...im so with you on this

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have picked up some words and phrases, simply because its easier than having to explain the SA ones. But no, accents are not being picked up. Think that is more a things of desire than anything else.

For some reason the Aussie accent seems to stick a lot with me, not sure why because other countries arent like that.

Im probably just a bit of a strange lad is all!

Also, did you know that the word "piesang" comes from Indonesian? Maybe you used that there too..

I would never have guessed that but not really surprised either.

Had a similar experience in Bali as I could recognize terms that my Cape Malay grandmother would use. Tera makasi translates into thank you..my grandma used a shortened version of the term to express gratitude. I don't think she frankly knows where Indonesia is.

Sadly many of these phrases are being used less and less locally as time goes on.

Especially 'tera makasi' But you'll still hear it here and there. Especially between older generations.

It was more commonly used in its shortened form now that I think back.

'Kasi' was commonly used in place of thanks. But since 'kasi' sounds like the afrikaans word for cupboard. Which is probably why people started using it less. 

Can't stand hearing saffas in the malls and stuff screaming "Jannie - go can like to fetch mamma another pack of beers" in the store.

I actually find this heartwarming. I like being reminded of home when I'm not. 

I also like running into saffas when abroad. Some people you can tell are from SA without them even saying anything. And I don't mean obvious giveaways like a Stormers jersey or a kort broek en veldskoene. Sometimes, for some reason. You can just tell. I've been able to pick some folk out in quite a few countries. I don't know what it is but what ever I see in them they probably see in me too. A squint or a smile and you can just tell somehow.

Cape Town?

Jozi!

Similar situation to Intern. My youngest speaks fluent kiwi. In her defense, she was 3 years old when we moved and she celebrates her 8th birthday in a few weeks.

My wife still sounds a bit like a dutchie sometimes. But you can take the girl out of Springs but... :ph34r:

I have worked in a couple of countries, so I have this weird accent that sounds like a bit of everything but at the same time nothing.

Suits me fine.  

Wayne are you politely trying to say that you sound as confused as that Saffa comedian chap who uses Trump for his material regularly???

Similar situation to Intern. My youngest speaks fluent kiwi. In her defense, she was 3 years old when we moved and she celebrates her 8th birthday in a few weeks.

My wife still sounds a bit like a dutchie sometimes. But you can take the girl out of Springs but... :ph34r:

I have worked in a couple of countries, so I have this weird accent that sounds like a bit of everything but at the same time nothing.

Suits me fine.  

Wayne are you politely trying to say that you sound as confused as that Saffa comedian chap who uses Trump for his material regularly???

I don't "know-ah" what you are talking about.

I actually find this heartwarming. I like being reminded of home when I'm not. 

I also like running into saffas when abroad. Some people you can tell are from SA without them even saying anything. And I don't mean obvious giveaways like a Stormers jersey or a kort broek en veldskoene. Sometimes, for some reason. You can just tell. I've been able to pick some folk out in quite a few countries. I don't know what it is but what ever I see in them they probably see in me too. A squint or a smile and you can just tell somehow.

Cape Town?

Jozi!

I find that my Jeep logo on  my shirts are the giveaway - no-one else in the world seems to wear them ! Many, many conversations have been started by those.  

I know a Ukrainian with an Irish brogue.

He was a doorman at a Dublin pub in his spare time whilst at Trinity.

When we first met I couldn't have a conversation without grinning (my Dad was Irish) and I was also domiciled in Ireland at the time (2008).

We're still friends to this day even though the pisstaking was massive.

Oi'm goin'a kill yeh. With a Ukrainian/Dublin accent is still one of my favourite sounds: uttered in jest of course.

Unfortunately I have an RP style English accent after having any regionality bashed out at various schools. It doesn't seem to change no matter in which country I live.

I just pick up colloquialisms.

I did unknowingly bring back a light head wobble (indicating thank you/of course/I agree) from India after being the only Westerner working with an exclusively local bunch after multiple three month stints.

My partner could not stop giggling.