New rubber front and back

Ryan-0

Morning all,

I’m battling to narrow down tire options for my 29er. I will be riding mainly highveld gravel and Rocky single track. The choice of tread needs to be easy rolling and medium compound. I’ve been riding 2.2 on the rear and I find I need to beef up the rear as I’m over 95kg which doesn’t allow me to run lower pressure if I’m riding aggressive decents.

What’s your choice of tire front and rear in the 2.4 range?

Just run Maxxis DHR2 EXO+ front and rear. They're not super fast rolling, but they're not terribly slow either. Put a 2.3 Agressor or 2.4 Reckon on the back if you want something faster, but you're not going to find that in EXO+ so you'll want to use a tyre insert with those. Running higher pressure to compensate for the thinner casing will just mean more rolling resistance as soon as the terrain gets a bit bumpy.

Edited by Christofison

I would suggest Vittoria Saguaro at the back, no fatter than 2.3, and Barzo upfront 2.4. This combo is solid in terms of grip in rocky conditions, and also not so obtrusively knobbly that you lose rolling speed when out grinding a gravel road.