How to fix scratches on Carbon Seatpost?

Horsey031

Hi everyone,

I bought a used Giant TCR0 and there are scratch marks on the carbon seatpost. It looks like it could have been caused from the seatpost slipping down. I know this can be quite common but i wanted to find out if there is any way to fix these scratches?

I have tried rubbing with toothpaste but that hardly made a difference.

Edited by Horsey031

Fine wet sanding paper to get rid of the scratches (600 grid) smooth with 1000 grid and polish with normal car polish.

There's no clearcoat on this bar, carbon polishes very easily.

post-80000-0-77204900-1593245021_thumb.jpg

Edited by Me rida my bicycle

Thanks for the feedback. What would I use as a clearcoat? Is clear spraypaint okay? Would I need to sand a clearcoat just the affected section or the entire part? 

The only way is to lightly sand it and the respray with clearcoat

Thanks, so do you just sand until smooth and then use car polish to shine? Wouldnt the car polish eventually fade away? 

Fine wet sanding paper to get rid of the scratches (600 grid) smooth with 1000 grid and polish with normal car polish.

There's no clearcoat on this bar, carbon polishes very easily.

Thanks, so do you just sand until smooth and then use car polish to shine? Wouldnt the car polish eventually fade away?

no it doesn't fade the polish is just the final touch, after the 1000 grid it is nearly finished the polish just gives it a nice gloss finish.