Mountain bike

Stewpit

That Slade Comp is extremely well specced for R13k.

Definitely worth it for :

- 130mm travel fork

- dropper post

- boost spacing for future upgrades

- wide range 1x drive train

Don't be put off by the 120kg max weight claim. Definitely won't be a problem. You'll drop below 120kg in no time. 

I second the comments regarding the extra travel fork, one tends to eat through a forks travel depending on weight and form. * edit * That slade looks perfect for all the below..

As you get more experience you'll realise the bike is more playful, negating the immediate need to go for a dual sus, while still offering great xc performance and trail capability.

One must-have upgrade is a really solid rear tyre, I am heavy on rear tyres and barely weigh 80.

A double down casing on a Maxxis tyre will save your sidewalls and rims on some seemingly very innocent stones if you clip them wrong, heck, even a sneaky root or sidewalk can catch you out.

My spec summary in order of importance:

Good rear tubeless tyre (strongest casing)

Dropper post

Air shock 120mm travel at least

Through axle (if possible within budget)

Boost spacing - merely for future proofing reasons

1x compatible hubs, sram xd or shimano microspline

This should see you on a decent steed and ready for lots of fun!

Edited by RuanLeroy

Hey guys,

I am looking at buying a new mountain bike, will be doing some light trails and riding around the suburb.

Now here is where i need help, i am a fattie. So last bike i bought the back tire would basically be flat when i was on it. 

I am 1.83m and 125kg, so must a look at Fatboy bikes or are there other alternatives ?

Just want to ride to get into better shape. 

No......fatbikes are designed for snow (or at a push, seasand). Most bikes on the market would handle your weight. As Mr Dampf said, your pressures were probably wrong.

Some wheels have a weight limit, but these are generally found on the uber expensive bikes.

So i went to Cycle lab yesterday and bought a 2020 Silverback Stride Expert for 13k. 

They took my measurements and busy setting the bike up for me based on that, will be collecting it today.

Thanks guys.

Congrats on the new bike, I would try bargain with them to throw in some extras though, like a Helmet, Tubeless, water bottle holder and such.....

Edited by Chadvdw67

Hey Stew, congrats. A few questions though if i may.

Why did you end up with the expert compared to the slade which is a one by?

I am not sure what the exact differences are between the expert and slade... 

https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/silverback/products/silverback-slade-comp-2020

As mnetioned, hope they threw in a few freebies, enjoy!

So i wanted to buy that one from Bike addict, but didnt get a reply on email or answer their phone.

So found Cycle lab not to far from me, and went to look at it and decided i wanted it.   :D

Edited by Stewpit

Cool Stew, well bike addict lost a deal then. In these times people need to get back to people Fast!

Congrats, make sure they do a proper bike set up from the start. Enjoy my man!