Shimano Rear Mech Short cage question

The Ouzo

This sounds almost as hard as finding a replacement bolt for a seat post. 

Good luck. If you're in Jhb you might find something at Reliable Bolt in Edenvale.  

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck. If you're in Jhb you might find something at Reliable Bolt in Edenvale.  

I've been told to try both Reliable Bolt and Robot Hardware, both are close enough to the office.

it looks like you were right. Did a tour of the nut & bolt places, no luck.

i dont think Reliable Bolt wanted to help, as soon as I showed them the pic of what I want they said they only have m6, then they sent me to Gelmar of all places.

new bolt and nut didnt work, simply not enough clearance between the big cog and the spokes.

I shaved it down as much as I was comfortable with, anything more and I'm not confident there is enough left of the nut to do the job.

I'm going to go look for a sleeved nut today. That way I can enlarge the hole on the cage and the sleeved nut can slip in there out of the way.

Did you try the bolt through the back plate First and nut on the outside?

it looks like you were right. Did a tour of the nut & bolt places, no luck.

i dont think Reliable Bolt wanted to help, as soon as I showed them the pic of what I want they said they only have m6, then they sent me to Gelmar of all places.

Did you also find their lack of mask wearing to a bit shocking? 

Did you try the bolt through the back plate First and nut on the outside?

Still not enough clearance with the bolt I am using.

But, the plate has a slight recess in it, I'm going to try and machine the diameter of the bolt head slightly smaller to fit in the recess, and maybe trim the dome slightly so its not so pronounced.

This is similar to what I'm using

s-l300.jpg

on the outer side with the way I've trimmed the nut there is sufficient clearance to the stopped pin.

Did you also find their lack of mask wearing to a bit shocking? 

to be honest it didnt even cross my mind, was more shocked at how quickly they determined they could not help.

Wow OK I'm really surprised there isn't clearance. There's generally more than a centimeter, around 12mm gap

is your hanger not bent?

Wow OK I'm really surprised there isn't clearance. There's generally more than a centimeter, around 12mm gap

is your hanger not bent?

this is a road bike with an 11 spd cassette, I think the tolerances are pretty small.

(and its the upper jockey wheel so its really close to the spokes on the biggest cog)

If it was me then I would just drill out and tap up to the next size bolt.

Might not be the prettiest thing but would be fully functional.

If it was me then I would just drill out and tap up to the next size bolt.

Might not be the prettiest thing but would be fully functional.

wont work, the bolt passes through the pulley wheel, so that would mean drilling out the bushing of the pulley wheel to accommodate the thicker bolt., I'm not keen to do that with something that spins so fast.

Still not enough clearance with the bolt I am using.

But, the plate has a slight recess in it, I'm going to try and machine the diameter of the bolt head slightly smaller to fit in the recess, and maybe trim the dome slightly so its not so pronounced.

This is similar to what I'm using

s-l300.jpg

on the outer side with the way I've trimmed the nut there is sufficient clearance to the stopped pin.

not sure if i'm stating the obvious, but surely a countersunk bolt could end up flush with the plate

704b0f6e142e713f010cdd6250a9625d.jpg

Edited by Shebeen

otherwise you're looking for something like a chain ring bolt that fits into a sleve so can be flish both sides?

51_2bisthftel.jpg