Travelling with a bike carrier

Nestus

Quick question. would this additional number plate be for bike carriers, where the wheels sit in the carrier, hooked to a towbar, like a Thule one OR the bikes that hang from a carrier, like a boot carrier, tied down with ropes and clips?

any carrier where, with the bikes on, your number plate is obscured.

I grew up in another little town in the Karoo and whenever we played rugby against Beaufort West, we came off very second best, often bruised, battered and broken. I hated the place ever since and never even stop there to fill up. It has nothing but street urchins, beggars, prostitutes and traffic fines to offer. I stick to the speed limit and go fill up and buy lunch at whatever town comes after. Hell, I've been known to pack my own padkos and I've installed long range diesel tanks so I can skip the place.

Edited by DJR

Quick question. would this additional number plate be for bike carriers, where the wheels sit in the carrier, hooked to a towbar, like a Thule one OR the bikes that hang from a carrier, like a boot carrier, tied down with ropes and clips?

For anything where the number plate of the car is blocked by the bikes.

Once upon a lifetime ago I was pulled over for speeding on the Cape Town side of BW at sunrise.

It was off the fine chart so meant a visit to the magistrate when they opened up.Got hit with a R1000 fine on the spot, payable within 3 months.It was a lot of money back then.

She was rather attractive as well.

I like Beaufort West and we always stay at the Wagon Wheel.

For anything where the number plate of the car is blocked by the bikes.

Thanks Ouzo and Mr Dampf

I see you guys are right, i googled google after i asked the question. Looks like i need a spare plate. Just got a bike carrier also. Didnt expect to have an additional item to get. Thank you Nestus for asking this question :)

Your number plate may not be "blocked".

So mounting bikes requires an extra number plate.

All depends on the cops mood .....

Around town I did not worry with the normal Thule carrier.  But going to event further afield I fitted a "trailer board", complete with number plate and lights.  Absolute schlep .....

Edited by ChrisF

I grew up in another little town in the Karoo and whenever we played rugby against Beaufort West, we came off very second best, often bruised, battered and broken. I hated the place ever since and never even stop there to fill up. It has nothing but street urchins, beggars, prostitutes and traffic fines to offer. I stick to the speed limit and go fill up and buy lunch at whatever town comes after. Hell, I've been known to pack my own padkos and I've installed long range diesel tanks so I can skip the place.

Will never do that again in my life... Skipped it once enroute to our hunting trip in cradock and just made it to aberdeen by hook or by crook... My onboard PC lied to me in beaufort ,and the last 40km was on range 0km..... heheheh 

Edited by Carmichael