Power meter / electronic technician

Sprocket and Chain

Hi there, I have a power that has slight connection problem. I assume the battery compartment is not making proper contact to the pm.

Had the agents check it out however, they obviously will say it's completely busted and "recommend" you purchase a newer later version.

Does any know a good techie that can have a look at it in the Cape town area?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just curious, what power meter is it? You believe it's the battery because it doesn't show up at all when you scan for it? or it functions intermittently? It takes a CR2032 battery?

Edited by aquaratza

Older quarq spider. So previously it was completely dead and upon turning the battery cap on, the entire compartment used to turn. I took the spider off the crank and have the compartment a good clean and tightened it. When I put the battery (2032) the red light comes on now. I'm not sure if it picks up on Garmin as does it not have to be on the crank to become visible?

I have a similar issue with a 8 months old rotor InPower 3D+...

I stopped working overnight, between two rides. I tried changing the battery but it doesn't change anything.

The shop (evobikes) noticed that the brass node in the battery cap was bent, so the agent decided it's the reason why it's not working anymore and warranty is voided, without even seeing the unit, now I'm ******, I tried playing with cables to make sure all was in proper contact and the unit doesn't appear on any of my Garmins. I really don't believe it is that but it wouldn't hurt for someone who know a bit more than me about electronics to look at it..

Edited by Jbr

Older quarq spider. So previously it was completely dead and upon turning the battery cap on, the entire compartment used to turn. I took the spider off the crank and have the compartment a good clean and tightened it. When I put the battery (2032) the red light comes on now. I'm not sure if it picks up on Garmin as does it not have to be on the crank to become visible?

If you think it is working, have you tried seeing it it is active and you can update the firmware through the Quarq legacy app/software?

What you mean you are not sure if it picks up on garmin? have you tried to pair the sensor to garmin?

If you think it is working, have you tried seeing it it is active and you can update the firmware through the Quarq legacy app/software?

What you mean you are not sure if it picks up on garmin? have you tried to pair the sensor to garmin?

So i was under the impression you need to have it on the bike and crank it up for it to pick up on the garmin device?

So i was under the impression you need to have it on the bike and crank it up for it to pick up on the garmin device?

No, as long as the light comes on when you screw on the battery compartment, it will register on your Garmin.

My mate had the same problem you are describing and even after installing a new battery compartment, it would work intermittently. He tried everything, including resoldering the connection and eventually gave up

Put a piece of folded paper in the cap, then place the battery in and the contact should be fine, this was a old trick I used when I had one. The additional option is to bend the small copper contact point in the unit out so it stands out and connect when touching the battery. do this slowly as it is flimsy.

Hi there, I have a power that has slight connection problem. I assume the battery compartment is not making proper contact to the pm.

Had the agents check it out however, they obviously will say it's completely busted and "recommend" you purchase a newer later version.

Does any know a good techie that can have a look at it in the Cape town area?

If you still haven't come right try this. I've got an Elsa and my heart stopped when I thought I'd broken my power meter. I swapped batteries and the thing wouldn't stay on. When I screwed on the battery cap, the light would intermittently come on but it wouldn't boot up.

Turned out I needed to tighten that torx screw that holds that star washer thing in place. 

Also, and this may not apply to you, but use good quality batteries. I thought I was being smart using cheap chinese ones but they don't last. Buy Energizer and be done with it.

My last piece of advise for Quarq health is take an old road bike inner tube. Cut a ring about 1cm or so and stretch it over the battery hatch. It'll add that extra layer of protection against water ingress

Put a piece of folded paper in the cap, then place the battery in and the contact should be fine, this was a old trick I used when I had one. The additional option is to bend the small copper contact point in the unit out so it stands out and connect when touching the battery. do this slowly as it is flimsy.

Thanks I'll give this trick a try

If you still haven't come right try this. I've got an Elsa and my heart stopped when I thought I'd broken my power meter. I swapped batteries and the thing wouldn't stay on. When I screwed on the battery cap, the light would intermittently come on but it wouldn't boot up.

Turned out I needed to tighten that torx screw that holds that star washer thing in place.

Also, and this may not apply to you, but use good quality batteries. I thought I was being smart using cheap chinese ones but they don't last. Buy Energizer and be done with it.

My last piece of advise for Quarq health is take an old road bike inner tube. Cut a ring about 1cm or so and stretch it over the battery hatch. It'll add that extra layer of protection against water ingress

Would this cover the entire part of the battery?

Would this cover the entire part of the battery?

If you're referring to the inner tube trick, it's a ring, not a disc. So like a small elastic band made of inner tube.

After you've screwed the battery cap/cover back on, you then stretch the ring over the the entire knurled surface so that it covers any gap between the cap and the part you screw the cap on to.

Hope that helps

So gents I think I should be working for quarq, with done of the tricks learnt in this thread, it now works. Connects to garmin and quarq legacy app

So gents I think I should be working for quarq, with done of the tricks learnt in this thread, it now works. Connects to garmin and quarq legacy app

You should inform those agents who were so keen to flog you a new one.

You should inform those agents who were so keen to flog you a new one.

Crazy how they operate! I feel for the people that sometimes falls in the trap.

So my findings were as follows: The battery compartment was loose and not making proper contact. Report started the unit was completely dead and non reparable. I was advised to buy a new PM for 13k or something.

I loosened the battery compartment, realigned the solder onto the circuit board and tightened it...viola...rest is history. Did every test and it connects to the garmin and the legacy windows app.