Centurion D5 Gate motor help

The Ouzo

I've literally just got back. Board tested fine.

They've told me to check the sensor connection on the motor but have also advised that after 12 years of service that motor most definitely will need a service.

So I'll check the sensor thing this weekend and if I dont come right I'll take the entire motor to them

Where did you go?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anybody who can service these units in Cape Town?

Otherwise is it possible to get spare parts, boards, sensors etc?

I have one that has been going for a couple of decades. I have re-soldered stuff on the main board which came loose from vibration from the motor, the encoder pickup is a bit unreliable and some of the gear rack on the gate is not looking too good.

But it still works ... most days.

Mine did the same.

Replace the battery and make sure the sensor on the rail isn’t out of alignment.

Edited by DR ◣◢

• 3 weeks later...

motor is with centurion today.

It worked perfectly right up until monday morning. Then started its nonsense again.

The entire week we have been using the gate manually, I finally got a gap last night and took the motor out, dropped it off this morning.

Initial courtesy inspection at Centurion reveals an oil seal leaking and contaminating the sensor pickup on the shaft, but they will assess and quote in the next few days.

Apparently can take up to 3 working days for them to quote on it.

motor is with centurion today.

It worked perfectly right up until monday morning. Then started its nonsense again.

The entire week we have been using the gate manually, I finally got a gap last night and took the motor out, dropped it off this morning.

Initial courtesy inspection at Centurion reveals an oil seal leaking and contaminating the sensor pickup on the shaft, but they will assess and quote in the next few days.

Apparently can take up to 3 working days for them to quote on it.

It is now when you realise how we take things like this for granted. As a lightie we never knew anything different other than getting out the car to open the gate after school. My boet and I used to fight over who wouldn't do it. We would fight over the front seat so my folks said who ever sits in the front opens the gate. Then we both sat in the back, then we both had to get out. We could never win. It was sometime in high school that we got out first electric gate motor, man we felt like kings.

It is now when you realise how we take things like this for granted. As a lightie we never knew anything different other than getting out the car to open the gate after school. My boet and I used to fight over who wouldn't do it. We would fight over the front seat so my folks said who ever sits in the front opens the gate. Then we both sat in the back, then we both had to get out. We could never win. It was sometime in high school that we got out first electric gate motor, man we felt like kings.

Its not so bad on a sunny day, but rainy days is when it sucks.

Also the security aspect of it, having the wife get out the car to open the gate when she picks the kids up from school is a worry

Ouch, R2.5k repair bill.

Waiting for them to quote on new motor and then will approach homeowners insurance to see if they will cover it.

Ask them if they can't do a nice price for you on the newly launched one,  shouldn't be too much more than your current one if you take into account an anti-theft bracket.

Have heard great reviews on it from installers.

Ask them if they can't do a nice price for you on the newly launched one,  shouldn't be too much more than your current one if you take into account an anti-theft bracket.

Have heard great reviews on it from installers.

Current one, R6.5k replace - already have anti theft bracket

Newly launched one - R8.5k plus its a different shape so will need new anti theft bracket.

But, its been a bit of work with the insurance today, useless bunch. So waiting for reports etc. from Centurion to submit to insurance, will then start negotiating upgrades.

Current one, R6.5k replace - already have anti theft bracket

Newly launched one - R8.5k plus its a different shape so will need new anti theft bracket.

But, its been a bit of work with the insurance today, useless bunch. So waiting for reports etc. from Centurion to submit to insurance, will then start negotiating upgrades.

ok just watched those clips you linked, might not need a bracket.

ok just watched those clips you linked, might not need a bracket.

Ask around if your friends or family don't have an installer friend, they get about 20% discount IIRC, then it gets much more feasible.

Ask around if your friends or family don't have an installer friend, they get about 20% discount IIRC, then it gets much more feasible.

Interesting. I may just know someone that knows someone. Will ask.

Its a pity my ABSA insurance is paid annually, I'd be canceling with them very soon.

They asked for a fault report and a quote to repair, I duly sent this though on Thursday Afternoon.

Monday I follow up, sorry we havent recieved your documents, please send through again.

I send again, yesterday I follow up and they give me the email address of the person handling my case, so i email to her and to their call centre.

Today I follow up, cant be put through to the person handling my case, but they send and email to her whilst I'm on the phone requesting that she contacts me. that was at 8:30, I have still not heard anything.

Everytime I try and claim from them I get the run around.

B.T.W. I got a mate of a colleague to quote on a D5 smart, with batteries (2xgel) and cage, R6.8k

Same thing direct from centurion, R8.5k, but not gel batteries.

Its a pity my ABSA insurance is paid annually, I'd be canceling with them very soon.

They asked for a fault report and a quote to repair, I duly sent this though on Thursday Afternoon.

Monday I follow up, sorry we havent recieved your documents, please send through again.

I send again, yesterday I follow up and they give me the email address of the person handling my case, so i email to her and to their call centre.

Today I follow up, cant be put through to the person handling my case, but they send and email to her whilst I'm on the phone requesting that she contacts me. that was at 8:30, I have still not heard anything.

Everytime I try and claim from them I get the run around.

B.T.W. I got a mate of a colleague to quote on a D5 smart, with batteries (2xgel) and cage, R6.8k

Same thing direct from centurion, R8.5k, but not gel batteries.

Nice, I'd run with that and make it work if at all possible. R6.8k is really reasonable for something that will last a lifetime.

Ja look, I have horrid stories from my own experience and that of my dad with ABSA homeloans and ABSA insurance. But I'm glad I am forever done with them now. Good riddance.