Bike Fall at 20kph and i had a hip replacement .

FirstV8

Fascinating.

My doc’s protocol was that you go to a physician for a full work up 2 weeks pre op, and she clears you. Then you are admitted to hospital the day before surgery, consult Anaethetist immediately upon admission, and immediately start Xarelto injections. Then you start showering with disinfectant. This was 2 years ago. Nothing was left to chance, it was really reassuring.

I am not looking forward to going through the ordeal again, but I will have one day.

You also only get to go home when your wound drainage has stopped.

We spent a huge amount of time consulting Physicians to determine exactly what they would look for and in the end it was exactly what the anesthetist was looking at. What happens now is that if there are co-morbidities identified the patient is referred to a Physician for these to be addressed before coming back to us. The entire  process has been designed to reduce risk and drainage is actually a huge risk because it prevents mobility.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fascinating.

My doc’s protocol was that you go to a physician for a full work up 2 weeks pre op, and she clears you. Then you are admitted to hospital the day before surgery, consult Anaethetist immediately upon admission, and immediately start Xarelto injections. Then you start showering with disinfectant. This was 2 years ago. Nothing was left to chance, it was really reassuring.

I am not looking forward to going through the ordeal again, but I will have one day.

You also only get to go home when your wound drainage has stopped.

yeah look, my moms first replacement was done mid 90's, back then the prosthesis would only last 10 years. Protocols were also pretty different to today. I think she had her second replacement (same hip) about 15 years back.

Thanks fellow hubbers for all the well wishes , advice and also precautions .. I am not on any pain killers . I wore the compression stockings ( most uncomfortable item i have ever had to wear )   until the blood thinning course of tablets was done  . I have a very high pain threshold so i can get through an hour without any discomfort or pain . ( Except my arse i)Good to hear about the new procedure's and protocols for this type of surgery . Nothing worse than being in hospital and trying to do a #2 in a bed pad with a drain and a catheter . My drainage worked well as the pump was always very full . Im hoping this BALL JOINT lasts about 20 or more years because i think ill be gone before another replacement . 

Thanks fellow hubbers for all the well wishes , advice and also precautions .. I am not on any pain killers . I wore the compression stockings ( most uncomfortable item i have ever had to wear )   until the blood thinning course of tablets was done  . I have a very high pain threshold so i can get through an hour without any discomfort or pain . ( Except my arse i)Good to hear about the new procedure's and protocols for this type of surgery . Nothing worse than being in hospital and trying to do a #2 in a bed pad with a drain and a catheter . My drainage worked well as the pump was always very full . Im hoping this BALL JOINT lasts about 20 or more years because i think ill be gone before another replacement . 

If I recall the second one my mom got had a much longer lifespan than the first ones. They changed the material used or something.

If I recall the second one my mom got had a much longer lifespan than the first ones. They changed the material used or something.

15 years is the current lifespan on the topline prosthetics.

15 years is the current lifespan on the topline prosthetics.

we'll have to see exactly how long my moms lasts, I really dont think she has it in her to go through a 3rd replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

I carried on spinning daily but did cut my time down to about 35/45 min .(bum to sore ) .Tuesday 3rd i went for a ride around my area 2,5km circuit and did two laps on my MTB at an average 15kph . i then went on my road bike and did the same . The road bike is a no no at the moment ( i even bought a soft gel padded saddle to put on ) 6bar pressure on 19mm tyres is not a pleasant ride , even for only 10 km . Ive done the ride every day since and i can feel the strength lose in my left upper ( around my bum , dont know the muscles name ) leg . So im working on getting the strength back in the left leg by pushing harder on every few downward strokes .It seems to be working because todays average was 18kph . 

I carried on spinning daily but did cut my time down to about 35/45 min .(bum to sore ) .Tuesday 3rd i went for a ride around my area 2,5km circuit and did two laps on my MTB at an average 15kph . i then went on my road bike and did the same . The road bike is a no no at the moment ( i even bought a soft gel padded saddle to put on ) 6bar pressure on 19mm tyres is not a pleasant ride , even for only 10 km . Ive done the ride every day since and i can feel the strength lose in my left upper ( around my bum , dont know the muscles name ) leg . So im working on getting the strength back in the left leg by pushing harder on every few downward strokes .It seems to be working because todays average was 18kph .

Amazing. May you ride from strength to strength.

• 1 month later...

Since my last post i have been riding intermittently . If it was windy or cold or even looked like rain i made an excuse to myself to not go out . This week though has been different and i started doing my hilly circuit (500m  Plus in 45km ) I started on my MTB as i wanted the comfort of suspension but then soon realized that i was being a sissy by climbing in small gears that a MTB has . So today i went out on the road bike and climbed the most difficult one and i had to get out the saddle the last  100m or so . (39 X 25 ) so i was fully tested and i had no pain . Pro Cycles on the East Rand has a 40/40 day challenge . Cycle every day for a minimum of 5 km per day . Unfortunately im joining with 20 days to go but ill give it a good go . My fitness is good but  im still weary  about pushing hard every day like i was doing . So ill alternate daily one day push the next relax but do the same distance . 

Since my last post i have been riding intermittently . If it was windy or cold or even looked like rain i made an excuse to myself to not go out . This week though has been different and i started doing my hilly circuit (500m Plus in 45km ) I started on my MTB as i wanted the comfort of suspension but then soon realized that i was being a sissy by climbing in small gears that a MTB has . So today i went out on the road bike and climbed the most difficult one and i had to get out the saddle the last 100m or so . (39 X 25 ) so i was fully tested and i had no pain . Pro Cycles on the East Rand has a 40/40 day challenge . Cycle every day for a minimum of 5 km per day . Unfortunately im joining with 20 days to go but ill give it a good go . My fitness is good but im still weary about pushing hard every day like i was doing . So ill alternate daily one day push the next relax but do the same distance .

That’s fantastic news, I am very happy for you. You have had a great recovery. May it continue from strength to strength.

Ps. How is your cat?

Since my last post i have been riding intermittently . If it was windy or cold or even looked like rain i made an excuse to myself to not go out . This week though has been different and i started doing my hilly circuit (500m  Plus in 45km ) I started on my MTB as i wanted the comfort of suspension but then soon realized that i was being a sissy by climbing in small gears that a MTB has . So today i went out on the road bike and climbed the most difficult one and i had to get out the saddle the last  100m or so . (39 X 25 ) so i was fully tested and i had no pain . Pro Cycles on the East Rand has a 40/40 day challenge . Cycle every day for a minimum of 5 km per day . Unfortunately im joining with 20 days to go but ill give it a good go . My fitness is good but  im still weary  about pushing hard every day like i was doing . So ill alternate daily one day push the next relax but do the same distance . 

great news,

Just don't do to much to soon.

That’s fantastic news, I am very happy for you. You have had a great recovery. May it continue from strength to strength.

Ps. How is your cat?

you asking another man about his pussy ?

• 2 weeks later...

Training is on track and im doing 45km a day . This weekend i went out with the BL group and we did the Emperors route ( Plus minus ) route . We topped out at 100 km at 3hr 16min so i was very happy with my progress . I have no hip or leg pain but have lost strength which is what i was told by the physio and needs to be built up slowly . My goal before my fall to do a sub 3hr 100km ride before year end but i dont think ill reach that goal so its set for end of Jan 2021 .

post-111826-0-16714400-1608569039_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Im well on my way to my fitness before my fall and op .Im comfortable at 45 to 60 km per day and longer rides on weekends . I have done close on 2000km since resuming training . My eating habits have unfortunately let me down during the festive season so im about 6 kg over my lowest in the beginning of the year of 82 kg .. Im going to join up on the 2021 Weight Challenge on The Hub as a motivator and record keeper  of my weight . To anybody who has hip joint problems and is skeptical about the replacement of the joint , don't be . I rode with someone a few weeks ago who had it done 5 years ago and he coined it " the forgotten joint " and i must agree . . Two months of inconvenience and when you put your positive cap on you will be on your bike the next week . Thank you for the encouragement and advice during my rehab and finally getting back on the bike and training with concerned riders helping me out on rides . This thread is now closed and ill see some of you guys on the black stuff or sandy roads next year .