Shimano M7100 12 spd - chain dropping off guide pulley

Andy_P

Another option

how did you join the chain when you installed it to the new bike?

if not using a quick link, sometimes the joint where you break and/or subsequently rejoin the chain is a bit stiff....and my intuition tells me that it might maybe go all humpbacked over the tighter curves by the pully wheels and maybe thats why it climbs off? 

Dont know...just another thing to consider. If you did join it with a pressed link try and find it if it is stiff...and slightly bend it from side to side to free it up a bit. dont hulk it....just some side tention on the stiff link will free it up if it is indeed that.

if not...then ignore me lol

Incorrect quicklink maybe? SRAM instead of Shimano one?

I used the Shimano speed link that came with the chain. I saw yesterday that the link was in installed in the wrong direction, but I've never really believed that it could make a difference?

True. Right now I’m just throwing out any suggestions possible. This is a very strange problem.

Thanks for suggestions, keep them coming  :clap:

I used the Shimano speed link that came with the chain. I saw yesterday that the link was in installed in the wrong direction, but I've never really believed that it could make a difference?

The chainlink makes a big difference even more now with the new shimano 12spd stuff. I had a chainlink put on by a LBS the wrong way around and it caused the gears to try and change by themselves.

it sounds to me like the jockey wheel is not the right way around as the are directional. 

I've swapped the link around to the correct direction since it last happened. Maybe that solves the problem.

Edited by Andy_P

is the pulley wheel on the correct way round ?

The chainlink makes a big difference even more now with the new shimano 12spd stuff. I had a chainlink put on by a LBS the wrong way around and it caused the gears to try and change by themselves.

it sounds to me like the jockey wheel is not the right way around as the are directional. 

Thanks for the advice. I've swapped the link around to the correct direction since it last happened. Maybe that solves the problem.

I'll double check the pulley orientation tomorrow and give feedback. I assumed the pulley wheels are in the correct orientation as the derailleur hasn't been disassembled, but definitely worth a look!

That link has a slight curve on it like the SRAM link so it will definitely make a difference if its the wrong way round

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I found that the freehub body had a bit of lateral play due to the drive side endcap that secures it not being fastened properly. 

I think must have been the cause of the problem?

Only hand tightened the cap as I didn't have a cone/flat spanner handy. Not sure how tight these need to be?

Did you use a new Chainring ? Worn Chainring with New Chain has caused this problem.

Brand new chainring!