MTB Tyre assistance needed with choosing a new combo

Bjorn881

My favourite combo is DHF front and the Minion SS rear. Excellent grip, good rolling resistance and a ton of fun. 2.5WT front and 2.4WT in the back.

I think the Hanger in Somerset West had stock of the gravity orientated Maxxis in recently

It was a legit question bud, no need to get defensive.... there just aren't many trails that warrant that sort of meat in SA hence me asking.

I was thinking about that this morning on the bike.

If Strava is not an issue, and getting somewhere fast is not on either, then a nice and grippy tyre that gives oodles of confidence is surely not a bad thing.

Like a good many bikes (Inc. mine) are more bike than the rider can push to the limit, yet the bikes make you feel confident and in control due to their handling traits vs an XC rig.

I've been using a Ground Control on the back and Eliminator on the front, rolls nice and fast and the Ground Control has more bite than it looks like it would.

I second that. Best all-round trail combo I’ve used in 30 years of riding.

If you want some thing a bit more fast rolling and nice and grippy when you leant it over for hard terrain then a semi slick spez slaughter on the back is a really fun tyre and way more capable than you’d think. I’ve ridden it everywhere roff, steep n’ loose and it works great.

Edited by Dirt Tracker

Also consider the Pirelli scorpion enduro S.

I'm using the xc Soft up front and the rear specific

Lots of grip for xc tyres and the enduro option seems to be a notch higher in grip and protection of

Also consider the Pirelli scorpion enduro S.

I'm using the xc Soft up front and the rear specific

Lots of grip for xc tyres and the enduro option seems to be a notch higher in grip and protection of

Where did you say you found these again please?

Looks interesting 

58644276-4-zoom.jpeg

I was thinking about that this morning on the bike.

If Strava is not an issue, and getting somewhere fast is not on either, then a nice and grippy tyre that gives oodles of confidence is surely not a bad thing.

Like a good many bikes (Inc. mine) are more bike than the rider can push to the limit, yet the bikes make you feel confident and in control due to their handling traits vs an XC rig.

I get the sentiment, but super meaty and grippy tyres IMO just makes a bike feel lazy and a slog to pedal. I find that middle ground of reasonably fast rolling with a decent amount of grip makes a bike feel more lively and fun to ride - especially if you have to pedal it around. If I was on an ebike or doing shuttles, by all means - all the grip all the time.

Where did you say you found these again please?

Looks interesting 

58644276-4-zoom.jpeg

Ordered through my lbs. CCS has stock and it appears to be slow moving for some reason.

Realsshame asiits ggot ooodles of traction. Going to keep it except for maybe Transbaviaans where the fastest rolling tyre is what I'll want

can also order here if you have an account: https://www.capecycles.co.za/consumer-direct/pirelli/30/1/2/

Edited by DieselnDust

Ordered through my lbs. CCS has stock and it appears to be slow moving for some reason.

Realsshame asiits ggot ooodles of traction. Going to keep it except for maybe Transbaviaans where the fastest rolling tyre is what I'll want

can also order here if you have an account: https://www.capecycles.co.za/consumer-direct/pirelli/30/1/2/

Thanks, looks like they only have the R in a 2.2 unfortunately .... their tyres do look lekker like a cracker!

Do you get a calendar if you buy a set, asking for a friend!