Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

haha sums it up really.

side note, if you had a choice on

1. DTSwiss EX511

2. WTB KOM

3. RF Arc

4. Flow EX3

WTB Kom Tough I29 is the first rim I haven't been able to damage (badly) yet. They also look really good IMO.

I've heard very good things about the DT Swiss rims but I seem to remember they come at a premium price (there wasn't any stock when I got the WTB's built last year).

As far as the discussion is concerned, both will work but I suspect 30mm might just be that little bit too wide for your intentions so I'd go with 25mm personally for XC use if those are the only options.

...and the OP resolved his dilemma while I typed this  :blush:

Edited by Edge_Design

WTB Kom Tough I29 is the first rim I haven't been able to damage (badly) yet. They also look really good IMO.

I've heard very good things about the DT Swiss rims but I seem to remember they come at a premium price (there wasn't any stock when I got the WTB's built last year).

As far as the discussion is concerned, both will work but I suspect 30mm might just be that little bit too wide for your intentions so I'd go with 25mm personally for XC use if those are the only options.

...and the OP resolved his dilemma while I typed this :blush:

Haha, yes mine was a slight thread derailer.

My current strike rate is 1 rim every 6 months. I've resorted to running my rear tyre at 30psi. The current rims i have are soft so it's something I'm planning for...

That is the rims have to be extremely tough.

If you have call if something then, enduro/dh rims. Something that should make sparks when met with rocks and not dings...

Yes, the DTSwiss rims are close to carbon rims territory in terms of pricing and availability.

Those WTB are strong contenders for my final choice. Spanks 370 vibracore also got me scratching a bit

Edited by Meezo

I run 30mm DTSwiss E1700s (350 hubs and E532 rims) on my Enduro bike with 2.4" DHR IIs front and back.

On the XC bike I have 25mm DT Swiss XR391s laced to 240s (thanks Nick) with 2.35" Ikons front and back (I'll throw a Forekaster or Ardent on the front sometimes if I'm doing a more technical ride)

Both sets work well for their intended purposes.

• 2 years later...
On 5/12/2023 at 11:29 AM, MarcoDeS said:

Hi @Furbz, what did you end up choosing?

So i bought a used Scott Spark RC SL with Syncros Silverton SL wheels - yes the one piece carbon ones.

really love them and the bike. an incredible ride! they are so direct on the trails that it took a bit of time to get used to them.

I recently bought the newer Scott Spark RC with standard carbon wheels with a 30mm inner (newer XC setup)

so i now have a standard carbon set with 30mm and the one piece 26mm wheels.

i plan on trying both and then selling the bike with the wheels i like the least.